• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman #1 .5 CGC or restored what would you buy?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2022 at 9:47 PM, Courageous Cat said:

restored but limited to color touch, glue or archival tape. No pieces added

Depends on the pieces added.  Sometimes a few pieces are added near the staples to anchor the book. 

On 8/13/2022 at 7:29 PM, Kalel38 said:

Wondering with the prices of Batman 1 to Superman 1 going so sky high would you rather have a .5 Superman blue label or Batman 1 back cover missing or a restored copy? 

When it comes to big Golden Age books I would take a complete restored copy over one that was missing hard to replace parts (such as a back cover). If it is just a mangled complete copy that graded 0.5 I would consider that depending on the extent of the defects, as a Universal book can be worked on with proper conservation (or restoration if it makes sense).

On 8/15/2022 at 2:02 AM, Sauce Dog said:

When it comes to big Golden Age books I would take a complete restored copy over one that was missing hard to replace parts (such as a back cover). If it is just a mangled complete copy that graded 0.5 I would consider that depending on the extent of the defects, as a Universal book can be worked on with proper conservation (or restoration if it makes sense).

Yah the back cover when it’s gone it’s a huge eye sore no doubt 

On 8/14/2022 at 2:50 PM, Kalel38 said:

Yah the back cover when it’s gone it’s a huge eye sore no doubt 

I will however always jump at buying discounted Silver Age books that are missing back covers, as those are often easily sourced and replaced from other books published at the same time (but for Golden Age books that is next to impossible) :D

On 8/15/2022 at 2:02 AM, Sauce Dog said:

What if the cover of say Batman 1 was a 5.0’looking cover and no back pin up but a .5.. Would you still take a Resto 6.0 copy over this one? 

On 8/16/2022 at 3:44 PM, Kalel38 said:

What if the cover of say Batman 1 was a 5.0’looking cover and no back pin up but a .5.. Would you still take a Resto 6.0 copy over this one? 

Since I put most importance on how a book displays over everything else, it might come down the visual appeal between both covers - in which case might happily take the 0.5 (I loveeee bottom of the barrel grades for books that actually look mid-high grade).

Being possibly the best looking 0.5 out there certainly gives the book a leg up against others in that grade category, so I would value it a better pick up (and once again - it could become a restored/conserved book one day if the back cover is obtained)

On 8/17/2022 at 6:02 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Since I put most importance on how a book displays over everything else, it might come down the visual appeal between both covers - in which case might happily take the 0.5 (I loveeee bottom of the barrel grades for books that actually look mid-high grade).

Being possibly the best looking 0.5 out there certainly gives the book a leg up against others in that grade category, so I would value it a better pick up (and once again - it could become a restored/conserved book one day if the back cover is obtained)

Value for wise? Let’s say the .5 Batman 1 nice cover is listed say 110-115k and the restored 6.0 is at 110k would you say the Batman 1 .5 blue grade has a better investment potential then the 6.0 restored extreme grade? Or would that Batman 1 restored 6.0 still push close to the .5 as investment wise?