• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about detached covers
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi.  I have asked this question in several different places, but the answers I get are inconsistent and seem more like speculation.   I'm hoping that somebody out there can speak from experience or at least CONFIDENTLY to the question of what happens when a comic is submitted to CGC with a detached cover.  I have an ASM 129 that has a detached cover.   The inside of the book is probably a 9.6.  Beautiful, GREAT condition.  Really clean staples, etc.  The cover is okay, but worn.  Probably a 5.0 cover.  Here is my question:

If I submit the book, what will CGC do?  1) Some people tell me it will get a green label (qualified) and the higher grade (in this case, probably a 5.0 ish).  2) Others tell me, it will get the blue label and an overall downgrade (probably 2.5 here) and a notation of a detached cover.  3) Still others have suggested that I can request which of those two options I prefer (green or blue label) and that CGC will honor my request.   I would like a blue label.  Can anyone tell me the hard cold facts here about how this actually works.  If I am going to get a green label, I do not want to send it in.   THANK YOU!!

On 8/14/2022 at 12:51 PM, flying_bison said:

Hi.  I have asked this question in several different places, but the answers I get are inconsistent and seem more like speculation.   I'm hoping that somebody out there can speak from experience or at least CONFIDENTLY to the question of what happens when a comic is submitted to CGC with a detached cover.  I have an ASM 129 that has a detached cover.   The inside of the book is probably a 9.6.  Beautiful, GREAT condition.  Really clean staples, etc.  The cover is okay, but worn.  Probably a 5.0 cover.  Here is my question:

If I submit the book, what will CGC do?  1) Some people tell me it will get a green label (qualified) and the higher grade (in this case, probably a 5.0 ish).  2) Others tell me, it will get the blue label and an overall downgrade (probably 2.5 here) and a notation of a detached cover.  3) Still others have suggested that I can request which of those two options I prefer (green or blue label) and that CGC will honor my request.   I would like a blue label.  Can anyone tell me the hard cold facts here about how this actually works.  If I am going to get a green label, I do not want to send it in.   THANK YOU!!

I didn't submit these myself, I do own them though, but I know it's possible and I'm not sure but would call cgc to discover how.

Detached cover blue is usually 2.5 at it's highest, so sounds like you heard correct

3348752_Full_Obv.jpg

3451925_Full_Obv.jpg