• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever wanted to be sniped in an auction but were not?

6 posts in this topic

I have been sniped manytimes in auctions and quite often I have sniped as well.

I bid on an X-men #9 and this morning I noticed that the seller only ships USA.

I hoped that someone would snipe the auction at last minute like usually happens but not this time. So here I am winner of an auction that wont ship to Canada.

I emailed the seller and apologized for not reading carefully but he said he would sell it to me anyway.

Ever wanted to be sniped but were not?

Don't know why some of these sellers say USA only. For the most part I've ignored this request - mostly because whenever I did email them for permission to bid on their auction, they usually said no problem. There was only one instance where the seller got upset and negged me for it. Funny thing too, I was the only bidder on the book.

So, if any of you sellers out there know why not everyone sends to Canada, please let me know. Don't understand what the problem is. confused.gif

I used to put in stupid dollar bids on some lots, expecting to be outbid or sniped on the comics, but a few times I mysteriously won the books.

One time I laid a dumb bid on a pack of books, without looking at the huge S&H fees and that the seller only accepted MO's (middle of winter - doah!). I was praying someone would snipe me.... thankfully someone did and I sent him an email of heartfelt thanks.

Now I'm a Paypal-only, confirm the shipping kind of guy. grin.gif

I send books anywhere.

Canada is a slight problem for two reasons. It costs way too much to insure a book. It has to weigh a certain amount before you can insure it, plus customs like to open up some items. The buyers really lose out. They do not want to pay high costs to get the books insured and then if the customs people open it and damage it, they complain to the sellers.

That's my take on it.

I usually put USA only on my auctions, but end up sending stuff all over the world. Out of the US usually means a customs form and extra postage. It usually ends up being a bit of a hassle.

That said, if the buyer asks before bidding, I always say yes, but tell them there will be a higher postage cost. If everything gets disclosed before the end of the auction, everyone is happy.

As for sniping, I'm more often than not the snipee and not the sniper.