• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice re: NYC sale of big collection
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!  

I haven’t been active on the boards in a while, and I’m back to ask for guidance. My family will be moving later this year and I want to sell the vast majority of my collection of several thousand comics (Marvel, DC, Valiant, indie from appx 1967-2017).  I’d prefer to sell in one lot or a few lots because I will not have the time to sell and ship online piecemeal.  Does anyone have any advice about unloading the books in the NYC metro area?  I’m in Brooklyn.  

Please post below or send me a PM if you have any recommendations or if you know anyone who might be interested in arranging an appraisal. I’m open to ideas…for the very near future.

Thanks for reading,

Tony

On 8/21/2022 at 5:40 AM, Tony_H said:

Hi everyone!  

I haven’t been active on the boards in a while, and I’m back to ask for guidance. My family will be moving later this year and I want to sell the vast majority of my collection of several thousand comics (Marvel, DC, Valiant, indie from appx 1967-2017).  I’d prefer to sell in one lot or a few lots because I will not have the time to sell and ship online piecemeal.  Does anyone have any advice about unloading the books in the NYC metro area?  I’m in Brooklyn.  

Please post below or send me a PM if you have any recommendations or if you know anyone who might be interested in arranging an appraisal. I’m open to ideas…for the very near future.

Thanks for reading,

Tony

Try comicconnect.com they are NY based

On 8/21/2022 at 7:40 AM, Tony_H said:

Hi everyone!  

Thanks for reading,

Tony

Sent PM!

Royal Collectables and Metro Comic Connect 

Perhaps ship the common stuff to mycomicshop and Royal and drop off the higher value stuff to Metro / Comic Connect.

@shadroch Thoughts ?

I've never heard of  Royal and can't endorse comicconnect.

Without seeing the collection, I can't pass an accurate assessment but 95% of stuff from around 1988 to around 2000 is pretty worthless , as is most modern stuff. With few exceptions, the money is in the 12 to 25 cent cover books.  

Is the collection bagged and boarded? Is it is reasonable order?  If not, you aren't making it very attractive to a buyer.  If a seller has to put dozens of hours in to get your books ready to sell, don't you think he will build that in to thr purchase price?

Best of luck with the sale.

On 8/22/2022 at 10:21 AM, Cocomonkey said:

Royal is my LCS, I'd recommend them (for whatever my opinion's worth). Good store and good people. They're located in Queens (Forest Hills, though I think they recently opened another location in Astoria).

I think the Astoria location (if it's the store I'm thinking of) is just games. If it's not the store I'm thinking of, then Astoria might be building a bit of a geek quarter, as there is a gaming store right near near, and that's also just a few blocks from the Midtown Comics outlet store. BTW, the Midtown outlet typically evaluates and buys collections as well, if you're just looking to dump what's left, but you're probably not going to get much for them there.