• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Comic Psychology Question- Uber Powerful Characters
1 1

54 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2022 at 1:11 PM, electricprune said:

What about a story where Galactus eats a planet, but it makes him sick. Even he can’t cure the sickness and he’s going to die. The Watcher tells him that the only remedy is to devour Ego The Living Planet.

The Celestials come to Ego’s defense as he is one of them. The Inbetweener  shows up too as he hates Galactus.

Then The Living Tribunal shows up.:whatthe: And he is none too happy with The Celestials! You

We could have a brawl that could be the end of days. Eternity and Infinity show up. The Watcher finds a way to let Dormamu into our dimension to help, but he ends up fighting both sides in hopes of taking over the universe!

We don’t know when The Stranger and The Beyonder will join in, but The Beyonders can’t be too far away!

Maybe I’ll send this junque to Marvel!:goodvsevil:

marvel zombies can defeat Galacticus!

On 8/24/2022 at 9:59 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

8F63FA87-51BC-4E11-B423-EA56FF869F68.thumb.jpeg.463debdb7f04c207229c6be93be91641.jpeg

6DB90E69-4082-4EE8-810C-9010C17E7B6D.jpeg

Wow, I definitely read that as a kid. I’m not sure why, but the text “For the first time in an eon- Galactus screams! “ has been burned into my brain. Maybe the only such sentence from the interior verbiage in a comic.

I remembered the story incorrectly though. I thought Reed had built the device to try to kill or harm Galactus. Odd that I would always remember those words, but not correctly remember the storyline. Thanks for posting that, TB!

On 8/22/2022 at 12:47 PM, electricprune said:

I don’t know if the title is perfect, but I have a question for the boards. Why are uber powerful characters not usually brought into the Marvel and DC Universes with their own stand alone series?

Im talking about characters such as Galactus, The Living Tribunal, The Watcher, The Celestials and other similar characters. You can make your own argument for others.

Are we as readers, as both kids and adults, not as fascinated by them? Do we need more vulnerability, even from super heroes? Spider-Man, Daredevil, The Thing and others have powers, but are still relatable has having weaknesses and flaws. Even Kid Colt lasted a long time in his own series.

Both Marvel and DC also had series for bad guys, such as Dracula and The Joker. Batman and The Punisher are both hugely popular characters, even though the don’t have super powers.

Would The Living Tribunal just not hold enough interest to have been introduced in his own series? What about the original Beyonder? The One Above All?

Are these characters just not relatable enough even though they are wildly powerful? Do we, as humans, need flaws and vulnerabilities for the character to be able to support a successful series? Would their powers just make most foes, good or bad, uninteresting to us? If so, why?

There may be exceptions. Even Superman has his Kryptonite though. I’m thinking the one real character that eventually had his own series was The Spectre. Once he had a host, he could certainly be considered uber powerful. Galactus had a limited series, but well after he was introduced.

I’m not sure if this topic has been broached before. I’d be interested to read your opinion. Maybe I’m just wrong about this.

Seems like all these character are males. Something is missing.

On 8/24/2022 at 2:59 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

8F63FA87-51BC-4E11-B423-EA56FF869F68.thumb.jpeg.463debdb7f04c207229c6be93be91641.jpeg

Third panel.  I've been there with that kind of agony.  Too little fibre, not planetary constipation, though.  Putting all of that rock in your system can't be good for you, and clearly an accident waiting to happen in hindsight.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/23/2022 at 1:05 PM, kav said:

he was just the host for various sci fi stories presented.

Not all. Look up Tales of the Watcher (backups in SS and Tales of Suspense).

https://captaincomics.ning.com/forum/topics/tales-of-the-watcher

This was one of my favorite stories when I was a kid, I think it was in the back of Fireside Son of Origins of Marvel book. These arrogant soldiers go to try to take down the Watcher and steal all of his tech, he simply mentally speeds up the time on the space they are in and they crumble to dust.

watcher.jpg

Edited by bronze_rules

On 8/26/2022 at 10:25 AM, bronze_rules said:

Not all. Look up Tales of the Watcher (backups in SS and Tales of Suspense).

https://captaincomics.ning.com/forum/topics/tales-of-the-watcher

This was one of my favorite stories when I was a kid, I think it was in the back of Fireside Son of Origins of Marvel book. These arrogant soldiers go to try to take down the Watcher and steal all of his tech, he simply mentally speeds up the time on the space they are in and they crumble to dust.

watcher.jpg

mail.gif

george tuska :sick:

On 8/26/2022 at 7:16 PM, bronze_rules said:

With the exception of his teeth, I loved his figures and anatomy in Iron Man.

stop joking around!!!