• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spectacular Spider-Man 101
3 3

25 posts in this topic

I am far from an expert but this book seems to be very high grade with the lone exception being a little but of  rust on the staples. Top staple being worse than bottom. The zoomed in pics make it look a lot more noticeable than in person but its definitely there. How much will it effect the grade? Thanks

20220823_202415.jpg

20220823_202525.jpg

20220823_202520.jpg

20220823_202514.jpg

20220823_202511.jpg

Screenshot_20220823-231600_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220823-231547_Gallery.jpg

You should show us the back too. If rust free (and the back was OK), this would be in my >9.2 bin. I don't have a good perspective on staple rust deductions but I'd guess 2 grades. Maybe down to an 8.0.

On 8/25/2022 at 1:20 PM, chadsdsmith said:

I am far from an expert but this book seems to be very high grade with the lone exception being a little but of  rust on the staples. Top staple being worse than bottom. The zoomed in pics make it look a lot more noticeable than in person but its definitely there. How much will it effect the grade? Thanks

20220823_202415.jpg

20220823_202525.jpg

20220823_202520.jpg

20220823_202514.jpg

20220823_202511.jpg

Screenshot_20220823-231600_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220823-231547_Gallery.jpg

Is this your comic and if so where/when did you acquire it?

On 8/25/2022 at 4:59 PM, scburdet said:

You should show us the back too. If rust free (and the back was OK), this would be in my >9.2 bin. I don't have a good perspective on staple rust deductions but I'd guess 2 grades. Maybe down to an 8.0.

Agreed, 8.0, maybe 8.5. I wouldn't submit this, if you are considering it.  2c 

On 8/25/2022 at 5:30 PM, Point Five said:

Agreed, 8.0, maybe 8.5. I wouldn't submit this, if you are considering it.  2c 

Understood. Just so that I know, is this grade deduction estimate based solely on the rust issue or are you seeing other ussues with it? Only asking so I can learn because I don't see any other issues. This one was on the bubble for getting sent in because it would have decent value in a high grade plus I thought it would look cool in a slab if I just wanted it for my pc, but if it's not going to get over an 8.5 I think it will look cool on a regular bag and board too!! 😀

On 8/25/2022 at 8:49 PM, chadsdsmith said:

Understood. Just so that I know, is this grade deduction estimate based solely on the rust issue or are you seeing other ussues with it? Only asking so I can learn because I don't see any other issues. This one was on the bubble for getting sent in because it would have decent value in a high grade plus I thought it would look cool in a slab if I just wanted it for my pc, but if it's not going to get over an 8.5 I think it will look cool on a regular bag and board too!! 😀

It's based solely on the rust, i.e. I don't think that's a flaw you'd find on a Copper Age book graded 9.0-9.8.  

And agreed, great cover!

9.0-9.4 is possible with rusty staples. Even a 9.6 with slight rust. But it's all going to depend on the severity, if it's one or both staples and if there's any migration. Also, the book would need to be Golden or Silver Age for that high of a grade.

For a Bronze Age comic book, such as this, you'll probably be looking at 8.0/8.5 provided that the back cover is near-perfect.

Thanks for posting.

I have seen some evidence that cleaning the rust can earn you a purple label, which is unfortunate. Both b/c that seems like it should be a legal cleaning process and I don't think people should be down on less invasive restoration techniques. 

On 8/25/2022 at 6:38 PM, KirbyTown said:

Ok. Does this comic shop do or advertise any in-house pressing/cleaning?

I never got a response, but I was trying to say that your book PROBABLY has been pressed, so the staples MAY have been cleaned. Rust can occur in silly ways, so who knows really, and I don't know what criteria CGC uses to determine rust removal, but it's perhaps something to consider given how they look.

edit: caveats

Edited by KirbyTown

On 8/25/2022 at 6:28 PM, KirbyTown said:

I never got a response, but I was trying to say that your book PROBABLY has been pressed, so the staples MAY have been cleaned. Rust can occur in silly ways, so who knows really, and I don't know what criteria CGC uses to determine rust removal, but it's perhaps something to consider given how they look.

edit: caveats

Sorry, For some reason my response to your question didn't post but I bought the comic for $5 bucks at a local comic shop. I pressed it myself as I just recently bought a press and have been playing around with it for a few weeks. I didnt really touch the staples beyond poking them with a q tip and realizing that not a lot could be done that I had enough experience to do.

On 8/25/2022 at 7:45 PM, KirbyTown said:

Ok. Did they start out entirely rusty?

No, not at all. I don't think anything I did with the q tip made any difference at all, so I quit while I was ahead...

Edited by chadsdsmith

On 8/25/2022 at 9:48 PM, chadsdsmith said:

No, not at all. I don't think anything I did with the q tip made any difference at all, so I quite while I was ahead...

Thanks for the explanation. Rust is weird. I'm glad you quit because if they detect removal you could get a Restored label, and then it doesn't matter what the grade would be :( 

On 8/25/2022 at 7:52 PM, KirbyTown said:

Thanks for the explanation. Rust is weird. I'm glad you quit because if they detect removal you could get a Restored label, and then it doesn't matter what the grade would be :( 

Ya, it's such a nice book minus the staple rust. In person it seems fairly minor and not very noticeable but I am glad to get some thoughts from the board on this. If I need another book to throw into my submission, I might include it and then report back so we can see how this effects a bronze/copper age grade... we will see. Either way I think I did ok for $5 bucks.😀