• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Point Five's 3rd Annual Grading Contest: ROUND 2 BOOKS!
6 6

58 posts in this topic

On 8/29/2022 at 8:17 PM, zzutak said:

Two coin flips for me -- 5.5/6.0 on the Jungle, and 4.0/4.5 on the Mystic.  I decided to go high, since I missed on the low side in Round 1.  :grin:

I was in same range. 

I went 5.5 with the Jungle although I figured it'd grade higher. Those missing pieces probably look worse in pictures than with the book in hand.

4.5 on the Mystic largely because I'm trying to grade spine splits (these so-called "slices") less harshly, especially in older books.

On 8/29/2022 at 10:26 PM, Black_Adam said:

I guessed 5.0 based on the chunk missing from the back cover. Maybe it got a 6.0 because the graders never turned it over? (shrug)

As I said, I think a grade like 5.0 is "reasonable" for this book. (My guess before submitting was 5.5.) But in this instance, it is maybe worth considering that a book is more than just the sum of its flaws. Of course I can only speculate what CGC graders are thinking when they arrive at a grade... but IMO, this book has some pretty striking positives (crisp spine and edges, flat, smooth, glossy, barely a speck of color loss...) counterbalancing those admitted negatives.

Edited by Point Five

On 8/29/2022 at 10:24 PM, Point Five said:

As I said, I think a grade like 5.0 is "reasonable" for this book. But in this instance, it is maybe worth considering that a book is more than just the sum of its flaws. Of course I can only speculate what CGC graders are thinking when they arrive at a grade... but IMO, this book has some pretty striking positives (crisp spine and edges, flat, smooth, glossy, barely a speck of color loss...) counterbalancing those admitted negatives.

I really thought it was a nice looking book - I knew they'd hit hard for those little chunks out of the front and back  but I believed the attributes would balance the book out.

Edited by flashlites

On 8/29/2022 at 11:43 PM, AJD said:

I am really not seeing 6.0 for that Jungle, with a corner off a substantial number of pages and obvious tanning. Great news for our competition's gracious host though!

I thought the two books would get about the same grade, but for quite different reasons. Sigh. :sorry:

Yep, I hear you. Some of the deduction for tanning may have already been baked into the LT/OW page quality designation.  

On 8/30/2022 at 9:34 AM, Comics4All said:

6.0 didn't bother me much, I had 5.5.

It was the 4.5 that has me Confuzzled!

that chunk out must have bothered me more than the guys from the shipping department that graded this copy that day :preach:

I do think 5.5 is fair given the appearance of the rest of the book