• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

52 Mantle sells for $12.6M!
3 3

73 posts in this topic

I was hoping the card market was in decline again as I keep teetering back and forth on the fence to pick up a few graded things I want.  Somehow I never got a Jackie Robinson card and still would like a DiMaggio card. 

On 8/29/2022 at 11:44 PM, Buzzetta said:

I was hoping the card market was in decline again as I keep teetering back and forth on the fence to pick up a few graded things I want.  Somehow I never got a Jackie Robinson card and still would like a DiMaggio card. 

1113816302_ScreenShot2022-08-29at11_58_56PM.png.3380f92f2d7b457b5a5c96b61f4bc648.png

@greggy Yo, you got a DiMaggio? 

On 8/29/2022 at 8:24 PM, James J Johnson said:

I don't think it's long winded. There's a lot of info in that response. But your interest here isn't in the cards or the find. It's cat and mouse. A game. That much is obvious, as you've made very clear. 

I could have gone on and on about the find. I probably know at least as much about that find and many other collectible related subjects, of which I thought may be of possible general interest to some if not all, as anyone alive. I shared about 5% of the whole story of the 52T find with you here. Since it's obviously long winded, laborious, and boring to you, I will assume you speak for all as you're held in high regard here, for whatever reason I can hardly begin to imagine, and so will do you the service of not continuing about this subject or any other details that escape many who wonder about them. 

Well, I for one would be perfectly happy to hear (read) as much of the story as you feel like typing out here.  

On 8/28/2022 at 11:44 PM, lou_fine said:

Not exactly sure how everybody quoted in that link can say definitiely that this SCG 9.5 graded card is the best when there are apparently also 3 PSA 10.0 Gem Mint graded copies of this card out there.  (shrug)

On 8/29/2022 at 12:07 AM, Djangology said:

PSA's grades have the same sort of uncertainty as CGC's grades, particularly when it comes to vintage.

As an aside, there are/were detailed scans of the card on Heritage's site and I think SGC overgraded it.

Not sure if I am misunderstanding your point here, but since CGC is seens as the top dog in grading when it comes to comic books, both of your points here would tend to confirm that this SCG 9.5 graded card is not the best condition Mantle card out there.  (:

On 8/29/2022 at 10:52 PM, lou_fine said:

Not sure if I am misunderstanding your point here, but since CGC is seens as the top dog in grading when it comes to comic books, both of your points here would tend to confirm that this SCG 9.5 graded card is not the best condition Mantle card out there.  (:

CGC can be both the top grader in the industry at the same as they're the grader of the Promise Collection books. Same thing happens with PSA. They receive many of the same criticisms from sports cards folks that people here have for CGC. I don't know that high-quality scans of any of the PSA 10 Mantles are out there for the public, but none of them are in recent slabs. Many people believe the grading standards have risen over time and one of those PSA 10s is in the early PSA slab, to boot. Part of PSA's appeal is that it's the easiest place to get a 10 from the main companies. Other big grading companies like BGS and SGC have a delineated range for their 10s while PSA does not. PSA has a wider range of what constitutes a 10 as a result.

Between the different time periods at which these cards were graded, the different humans who graded them, and the different companies who graded them, I don't think the nominal grades on the holders confirm anything in terms of which one is best. The Mantles that have been in holders for 10+ years could've been damaged since they were slabbed as well.

On 8/30/2022 at 7:23 PM, James J Johnson said:

Djangology, as in Django Reinhardt or Eldar Djangirov? :cheers:

Or as in Djangy Djujpcak? Don't throw a tantie, it's most unbecoming of you. You're lucky to be here. 

Edited by Cat

On 8/29/2022 at 10:59 PM, James J Johnson said:

Aman is the expert we all seek for that, FFB. You read his take, the same thing as I did. He was in that store and saw three 52T Mantles. That makes him the expert on that find and for that matter any and all info relating to cards, comics; and I would gather, anything else! What he did is to save me the trouble of typing and sharing anything else about it. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to fill everyone in on the intricacies and dynamics of the find. I look forward to learning more about it too; I'll be looking in to gain more insight as well! I think the greatest find of sportscards of the 20th century is fascinating. Can't wait to read more about it! :banana:

I feel like I am listening to my 13 year old right now.  Yes, Aman doesn't like you and he has his reasons.  But why let him bait you?  Just ignore it.  

Jesus, I literally had this same conversation with my kid recently about some little punk in his class who was saying a bunch of stupid :censored: to him and getting him all riled up.  

I doubt I'm the only one who would find this interesting, so go ahead and post up whatever information you can share about this very interesting topic.  Or take your ball and go home if that makes you feel better.  

On 8/30/2022 at 1:11 PM, FFB said:

I feel like I am listening to my 13 year old right now.  Yes, Aman doesn't like you and he has his reasons.  But why let him bait you?  Just ignore it.  

Jesus, I literally had this same conversation with my kid recently about some little punk in his class who was saying a bunch of stupid :censored: to him and getting him all riled up.  

I doubt I'm the only one who would find this interesting, so go ahead and post up whatever information you can share about this very interesting topic.  Or take your ball and go home if that makes you feel better.  

error

Edited by James J Johnson

On 8/31/2022 at 12:56 AM, Larryw7 said:

I wanna see what was poofed.

In a nutshell, he said "Why should I post this information that I have if I'm just going to have people jump all over me every time I do?"  

And yeah, he's right.  I wouldn't post here either if I kept getting attacked every time I opened my mouth.  

He has a very checkered past (to put it mildly), but he is definitely an expert on sports cards and vintage comics.  That's undeniable.  I think at this point, everyone is aware of his past and can take precautions against purchasing from him.  But in my mind, it's kind of annoying to see this happen every time he posts good information that isn't readily available.  

todays WSJ has an article on this sale and the sports card market in general. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/baseball-trading-cards-sports-memorabilia-record-prices-investment-mickey-mantle-11661981345?mod=hp_listc_pos2

it talks about how sports cards have become an alternative way for rich folks to diversify their investments. nothing new really. 

the last bit of the article is instructive for some boardies who are now panicking about comics prices coming down from record highs in 2021:

But market watchers caution that higher prices won’t last forever. PSA’s Mr. Osacky pointed to a mint condition Michael Jordan 1986 Fleer rookie card. It was selling for as much as $35,000 in January 2020, rose to $725,000 a year later and then fell back down now to $200,000 or less, he said.

Mr. Ivy of Heritage Auctions cautioned that while the market might fluctuate, its underlying fundamentals remain strong. 

“No market perpetually goes up,” Mr. Ivy said.