• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Grade is In: Spawn #9
3 3

7 posts in this topic

I'm trying to get a sense of whether my collection that I pulled out of storage (30+ years old) is worth grading.  Here's a representative Spawn.  What do you think this would grade as and would it even be worth submitting.  Thanks for your feedback!

IMG_4338.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg

Edited by travizb

9.4 or better.

What do you want from slabbing? If it's to resell then submitting may not be worth it unless you have a surefire 9.8. It's hard to tell that from pics alone. If it's to preserve your collection then Mylites work great.

Thanks for posting.

I only state >9.2 b/c I don't believe in the accuracy of my picks using photos at higher grades. To grade or not to grade can be a very personal decision as @grendelbo states. Right now, you can buy a 9.8 in the neighborhood $120-150 and a 9.6 for <$100. Grading is going to run you >$50 (inc. shipping) and another $15 if you want them to press it. You'd be close to break even with a 9.6 at today's prices and would come out a little ahead with a 9.8. I've got my copy out as a possible signature book for Todd McFarlane and I'm waiting for the actual announcement after CGC announced that they would be announcing a signing opportunity "soon." I haven't actually decided yet, and will also have to consider the ROI. The Angela character has some potential upside. Always rumored to crop up in a movie. On the other hand, all these 90s books had enormous print runs. There are already >6000 graded copies out there, and ~3000 of those are 9.8s. Not exactly an investment book.