• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulu's HELLRAISER starring Jamie Clayton (10/7/22)

14 posts in this topic

Actor Doug Bradley helped bring the iconic villain "Pinhead" to life in eight Hellraiser films, but with a new take on the material coming to Hulu, it means a new performer is stepping into the shows of the demonic figure. During a recent appearance at Silver Scream Con, per Bloody Disgusting, Bradley offered his thoughts on the new casting, praising Clayton's work on the Netflix series Sense8 and also seeming supportive of the concept overall, given that the Hellraiser franchise has a history of pushing the horror genre in exciting new directions. The new Hellraiser will debut on Hulu on October 7th.

"It seemed like [a female Pinhead] was coming. It's an interesting piece of casting," Bradley shared during the convention appearance. "I don't know Jamie. Of course, they've taken even a little bit of a wrinkle in that, because Jamie is transgender. I'm not familiar with her recent work, but there was a science fiction series on Netflix several years ago called Sense8, which I was quite a fan of. Jamie was in that, and I really, really liked her performance in that. I really can't say more than that. I do like to point out that I did wear a skirt as Pinhead ... It's an interesting casting decision. Well, that only goes so far. We say 'female Pinhead' like we know what that means, but there are a million shades of femininity. Where exactly are they going to go with that?"

Edited by Bosco685

This wasn't that great.  

It was 30 minutes too long, surprisingly bloodless, and nowhere near gory enough.  

Yes, it is better than the last 3 or 4 hellraiser movies , but that isn't a very high bar.  

Sure, if you've never seen a hellraiser before or haven't seen most or all of them, you might think this is decent horror.  

But if you have seen most or all you will easily spot many of the familiar plot tropes and ideas that the series has already done.  Lots was taken from hellbound for example, as well as from hellseeker, and hell on earth. there was even some 13 ghosts vibe mixed in.  The "new" pinhead was nothing to speak of beyond him (it) being played by a female this time, you may not have ever known that if they didn't tell us.  Pinhead has always been quasi-androgynous, the deep voice notwithstanding.  I found the make up effects disappointing, kind of rubbery and fake latex looking, and a step down from the practical effects from the earlier movies.

All in all, much like the other recent 80s movie franchise reboot, Prey I put this in the bottom half of the series.  All of the first four hellraiser movies are better than this , even hellseeker and Inferno are better than this.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

My problem was the random people being killed for each part of the box that was solved. In the previous movies, only people who deserved it were killed. 

Oh yeah, and the ending was lame.

I really wanted to like this one.

Oh well, Werewolf by Night was good.

On 10/9/2022 at 6:20 PM, D84 said:

My problem was the random people being killed for each part of the box that was solved. In the previous movies, only people who deserved it were killed. 

Oh yeah, and the ending was lame.

I really wanted to like this one.

Oh well, Werewolf by Night was good.

They not only deserved it they WANTED it.  That was one of the rules - you had to be a willing and knowing participant in the "game".

They definitely changed up the mythology on that one, to the movie's detriment.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

I thought is was meh. A novel change to the Hellraiser lore but the more I think of how they change it, the more I think it's a "one off".  They defined the sequence of events too well and there is not much room to expand on I think. The cenobites were meh too I thought.  The original Pinhead had such an intense and intimidating presence and voice.  The new one, not so much.

Edited by Xenosmilus