• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Point Five's 3rd Annual Grading Contest: ROUND 4 FINAL RESULTS
3 3

31 posts in this topic

I appreciate Jon's books - it's not what I collect but they are really cool and I would otherwise probably never see these issues.

I appreciate the mid-grades too. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, grading above an 8.0 through pics is hard. Books lower than that tend to tell a pretty good story of handling and care through pictures alone.

Anyone care to delve into CGC's current grading standards? I've seen many graded books lately that have left me scratching my head. But every one of these results seem very fair to me. Maybe we are not in a conservative or liberal grading period. Maybe the status quo is intact.

On 9/2/2022 at 9:26 PM, flashlites said:

I need these contests to reset my natural tendency to grade hard. I always drift low, so these help me a great deal towards getting closer to CGC standards. It can be very subjective but CGC is the gold standard and without these I would never have a chance to calibrate.

Yup. I'm really conservative and some flaws I have a bigger issue with than CGC. Others I'm ok with.

I've graded nearly 100% of books in PGM since I started posting in June of 2021. Hundreds and hundreds. I've only graded only about 150 books in my own collection and I think I was too tough on them and I shouldn't have written the grade in permanent marker on the bags.

On 9/2/2022 at 10:31 PM, grendelbo said:

Yup. I'm really conservative and some flaws I have a bigger issue with than CGC. Others I'm ok with.

I've graded nearly 100% of books in PGM since I started posting in June of 2021. Hundreds and hundreds. I've only graded only about 150 books in my own collection and I think I was too tough on them and I shouldn't have written the grade in permanent marker on the bags.

Same here. My SA Flash collection, I started grading 2-3 years ago and I kinda put that pause for a year or more now. Writing the grades on their archival backing boards, I'm wondering now if those grades are still even in the ballpark!

Edited by flashlites

On 9/2/2022 at 9:30 PM, flashlites said:

Sometimes I think I need to throw out the Overstreet guide completely! I got the latest edition earlier this year and was completely let down there were no new examples. Did anyone notice that?

Overstreet standards are a great tool to begin learning by but you eventually have to throw the book out the window. CGC is nowhere as tough.

throwing-book.gif.9c85e3cd793f2e4331cf69075faea490.gif

In the old days grading was truly the wild west! All we had back then was about a paragraph for each grade in the price guide, no photos or examples. I must have read those paragraphs a thousand times trying to teach myself to grade in the 1970's and 80's. :pullhair::preach: Does anyone else remember those days? Their would be arguments at the comic shop and nothing to go by, it was all just pure opinion and those brief paragraphs.

On 9/2/2022 at 9:44 PM, flashlites said:

In the old days grading was truly the wild west! All we had back then was about a paragraph for each grade in the price guide, no photos or examples. I must have read those paragraphs a thousand times trying to teach myself to grade in the 1970's and 80's. :pullhair::preach: Does anyone else remember those days? Their would be arguments at the comic shop and nothing to go by, it was all just pure opinion and those brief paragraphs.

I remember this from the 70s -

c4d4e1c9f387419e4bf591fee000146c.gif.3ac2e536ef101b8bf02bf5e38f0bf216.gif

:sumo: