• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Regrading Request?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hello All. I finally received books 2 and 3 from my submission to CGC of four books on 15 October 2021. One of the books (Invincible Iron Man #7 2016) has a grade of 8.5 that I think is way too low for it. There are grader notes for it but these are for minor issues (light creasing to cover, light fingerprints on cover, light spine street lines to cover) in my opinion, as the book was bought off the rack, read once, bagged and boarded, then submitted to CGC five years later after being stored in a long box. I understand that the comic issue may have some imperfections from the printing/shipping and displaying it that typically prevent it from being a 9.8 but it was a NM book with no visible imperfections when I submitted it. I was expecting to get a grade of 9.6 or 9.4 for the book. I just don't know what recourse I have to request a regrade of the book. Thanks!

Schelfsh19

On 9/3/2022 at 9:27 AM, Schelfsj said:

Hello All. I finally received books 2 and 3 from my submission to CGC of four books on 15 October 2021. One of the books (Invincible Iron Man #7 2016) has a grade of 8.5 that I think is way too low for it. There are grader notes for it but these are for minor issues (light creasing to cover, light fingerprints on cover, light spine street lines to cover) in my opinion, as the book was bought off the rack, read once, bagged and boarded, then submitted to CGC five years later after being stored in a long box. I understand that the comic issue may have some imperfections from the printing/shipping and displaying it that typically prevent it from being a 9.8 but it was a NM book with no visible imperfections when I submitted it. I was expecting to get a grade of 9.6 or 9.4 for the book. I just don't know what recourse I have to request a regrade of the book. Thanks!

Schelfsh19

Virtually none.

I am a long time collector of over 25 years and I still don't trust my own eye submitting Modern books, I'd rather buy them already graded than rolling the dice. Submitting older books that shouldn't be "near mint" anyways is one thing. Submitting modern books playing the game of "what's the grade" between a 8.5 and 9.6-9.8 is just that, a game I don't want to play.

If you didn't have the book pressed first that is almost certainly why the grade came back the way it did. However, even if so.....

Easiest scenario if you are unhappy with the copy, sell the book and put the money towards a higher grade copy.

Edited by Phill the Governor
spelling

I got similar notes on a couple of books in my latest submission which I feel just had overall bad results. My presser was annoyed as well. I'm pretty new to this, and I'm not sure where to go from here. Thinking about only doing prescreens from now on or just dropping grading altogether.