• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yu-Gi-Oh 1996 cards (need recommendation for which cards to grade)

9 posts in this topic

So I decided to catalog all my YuGiOh cards and get a few graded.  However I am not sure which ones to grade.  So I took a picture of the cards i think would be good to have graded. However on the Summoned Skull cards. .the paint looks a different shade then the others. Not sure what that about.  None of the cards have seen sunlight. I also don't play the game.. so the cards went from the packs to my portfolio. Anyway, can someone recommend which of these cards I should have graded?  I don't want to waste money on grading if not needed.  My intent is to sell if possible.

I am new to the card grading at CGC. I have only used CGC for my comics. . but I hope I can get my cards done there too.

The bottom picture is to show the different hue of the Summoned Skull.  I doubt I have the "sample" version.  Also these cards are from 1996 and I don't think CGC will grade them. . Since they grade only from 2002 and up

IMG-0524.jpg

IMG-0523.jpg

Edited by mcguirjw
added more detail

This isn’t a ton of cards, so I’d personally say look them up on eBay for ‘sold’ prices and do a similar analysis as you would comics  (raw vs slabbed including costs) though you may have to use cards graded by other companies for comps.

On 9/4/2022 at 1:13 PM, mcguirjw said:

Also these cards are from 1996 and I don't think CGC will grade them. . Since they grade only from 2002 and up

Just a note - these cards aren't from 1996. That might be the copywrite date on the card, but YGO wasn't released in English until 2002. So at the earliest, these cards are from 2002.

On 9/9/2022 at 1:41 PM, ProfessorCFK said:

Just a note - these cards aren't from 1996. That might be the copywrite date on the card, but YGO wasn't released in English until 2002. So at the earliest, these cards are from 2002.

thank you for the update good sir :)

On 9/5/2022 at 7:37 PM, revat said:

This isn’t a ton of cards, so I’d personally say look them up on eBay for ‘sold’ prices and do a similar analysis as you would comics  (raw vs slabbed including costs) though you may have to use cards graded by other companies for comps.

I actually have a whole box full of yugioh cards.  I just haven't gone through them all..  lol

On 9/9/2022 at 1:35 PM, mz1995g said:

Id be interested in the 1st ed foil cards raw if your looking to sell them asap. Those are the best cards out of the lot if you didnt know. You can message me if you want to unload them quickly.

Yeah I looked them up on Pricegrabber and that is why I want to grade them. .  yeah I do plan to sell but of course you only get what someone will pay for it. . Take first edition SDK-001 Blue Eyes White Dragon.. A PSA of 10 is $

$1,829.47 . . however last one sold on ebay only got $671.11..  So one thing I have learned from grading and selling my comic books via ebay is I may not get what the card is worth and that is totally fine.  To be truthful, if I was to sell, I have no idea how much I would even sell the cards to you for. . Or do I go ahead and get them graded and try the auction thing like I do with my comics?  

On 9/10/2022 at 6:02 PM, mcguirjw said:

Yeah I looked them up on Pricegrabber and that is why I want to grade them. .  yeah I do plan to sell but of course you only get what someone will pay for it. . Take first edition SDK-001 Blue Eyes White Dragon.. A PSA of 10 is $

$1,829.47 . . however last one sold on ebay only got $671.11..  So one thing I have learned from grading and selling my comic books via ebay is I may not get what the card is worth and that is totally fine.  To be truthful, if I was to sell, I have no idea how much I would even sell the cards to you for. . Or do I go ahead and get them graded and try the auction thing like I do with my comics?  

PSA 10 is pretty hard to get and not really a guaranteed even with pack fresh cards. If you were to grade them, if the cards have zero issues, its more likely you will end up with CGC 9 to 9.5. A 10 could be possible but its typically not likely. And if you sold them raw, they would be worth whatever the raw price is since you cant get graded prices for raw cards.

I dont know what the backs of your cards are like or if they are played, so no idea how to truly evaluate them. Id probably recommend grading them if you are not in a hurry to get the cash but I do buy cards if you dont want to deal with that. The 1st ed foils are pretty decent cards though, but its providing they have no issues with them.