• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signed raw books.
1 1

6 posts in this topic

On 9/6/2022 at 6:06 PM, ak47po said:

What a stupid idea.

On 9/6/2022 at 6:06 PM, ak47po said:

I know CGC won't give a yellow label without witnessing the signature. So has anyone seen something like this? Looks sketchy to me. Stickers on the back cover makes me cringe.

Thanks from a noob.

Although you're a noob, you're better informed than some so-called experts.  The stickers on the back make you cringe, as they would any serious comic collector, so you have good instincts.  The idjits who put the stickers on obviously have no respect for the comic.

I've seen stuff like this before, and I just shake my head when I see somebody damage an otherwise valuable comic with stickers.

That link that @'lorider posted points to something similar, but I don't see anything that connects that stupid verification process with stickers (from GenuineCOA.com) to the stupid verification stickers and certificates in the Star Wars auction (from Beckett, HollywoodMemorabilia.com, and "Authentic Stan Lee Excelsior Approved").  Maybe I'm missing something?

What seems odd to me is that this Star Wars seems like it was triple-authenticated.  There's a hollywoodmemorabilia.com "authentication", which can be looked up by serial number, and the serial number tells you it's for a Star Wars #1 signed by Stan Lee.  Then there's also a Beckett authentication with a serial number and a sticker on the back.  Then there's a "Stan Lee Authentic" sticker with yet another serial number.  

I don't understand why somebody would damage a book by putting stickers on it.  I understand even less why somebody would need three seemingly distinct types of authentication.  As I see it, if you need to "authenticate" a book over and over, then probably your "authentications" aren't worth much.

Stickers.JPG.90e926046eb9464e41ba83597f2f5619.JPG

Oh, and thanks for sharing this. I couldn't help but reach out to the seller to let them know that there's an error in the listing.  These sentence fragments, "Would receive a high grade from cgc. If you choose to get it graded," if expressed as a complete sentence, would be untrue.   I don't know what grade CGC would give it, with those stickers it's no longer a high grade book.  I thought the seller would want to know about the error, so they don't have an unhappy customer. :)