• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Crown Jewel, New Mutants 98 newsstand edition! Please grade me?
2 2

10 posts in this topic

The true value was the reading as a kid, not the graded copy now. You got way more than $1 worth of enjoyment.

I'd want to consult with someone who does pressing as this is pretty wrinkled. I've seen some pretty miraculous transformations. Just looking at the unpressable defects. Mostly the tears and creases around the edges of the back cover, I think the ceiling here is 6.5/7.0. You could go down from there if pressing wasn't effective at flattening out that paper, or the color is broken in other places that's less obvious right now. It's a valuable enough book that even a mid-grade copy is worth grading. If it's your childhood book, the nostalgia will increase the personal value. If Liefeld or some creator did a signing, this is the find of book I wouldn't hesitate to submit for those personal reasons.

On 9/28/2022 at 5:19 PM, Bryan LaBar said:

How can this be a 5.0 when books from 1962 that look like their gonna disintegrate if you touch them still come away with a 5? There's no way.... 

The ages of comic books determines their grade. Books from the earlier years are often graded much easier than compared to their later counterparts.

This is due to the fact that storing books in those ages was very difficult to do.

This book is a very modern book (1990s). As a result, this book and any book from here on out gets graded fairly harshly. So if this book  were in the 60s, I would have probably been like a 6.5-7.0. For the 90s, this is a 5.0.

On 9/28/2022 at 8:19 PM, Bryan LaBar said:

How can this be a 5.0 when books from 1962 that look like their gonna disintegrate if you touch them still come away with a 5? There's no way.... 

What 5.0 SA book have you seen that looks this way?

Reality is you have a lot of spine wear on a modern comic. If you send this to CGC, 5.0-5.5 tops. So in general, I think every grade posted so far makes sense. It takes time to get a handle on grading (took myself 15 years....and to toot my own horn, I only just finished third in a CGC grading contest, if that is any validation of some of the supposed ability I might have)

On 9/29/2022 at 6:39 AM, shadroch said:

A grade is a grade. Age should not be a factor.  A SA VG should be the same as a modern VG. There is no age curve.

Sort of...perhaps there should not be, and that is a definite argument. But long time collectors will tell you that Golden Age books tend to get a 0.5-1.0 grade leeway in some areas. Meaning a bronze age book in similar shape might get a 4.0 grade but a very similar condition Golden Age book could get 4.5-5.0

Is this right? Again, that can be debated but I am telling you CGC does it. The guys handling those books are not the guys handling newer stuff so they are sometimes less critical and pay respect to the book's age in that regard. The same can be said for certain books getting more love (specific issues, squarebounds getting a bit more leeway, etc)