• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn 1
3 3

8 posts in this topic

It's not clear that the pressing can make that one big spine tic disappear. I can't quite tell if there's a color break or not. I think 9.0/9.2 is the ceiling with pressing. TM signed 9.4s are selling for around $200, so I don't think you lose anything. You'd break even if you didn't pay a lot of the raw copy. It comes down to if it's worth it to you if it's something you want in your PC. There are also likely to be a lot more signed copies floating around after the TM event. This book is not in short supply.

I looked at the census. There are over 17K copies in 9.6 or 9.8 between Universal and Signature. There are other books from that era that are submitted more often (New Mutants 98), but it looks to me like this one has the largest number of high grade copies. I think @grendelbo's more unambiguous suggestion of buying makes more sense given these numbers. There are just too many copies out there to expect an investment of >$120 that's not going to come back as a 9.8 to make any sense.

On 9/10/2022 at 12:00 AM, scburdet said:

There are just too many copies out there to expect an investment of >$120 that's not going to come back as a 9.8 to make any sense

Update for me: I dropped off my other TM books yesterday and after discussing with my CGC dealer, Spawn 1 did not make the cut. Unless it's a guaranteed 9.8 (or you just really want the signature on a particular copy), it's not going to be worth the investment. Take that advice FWIW

It appears there is a bend bottom corner back cover...if that breaks colour, I think 9.2 is tops you could expect to get.

Personally, I would only send in if

a) It was something I would truly love, regardless of grade or

b) I thought it would get 9.6-9.8 because I want the investment to be worthwhile more than I care about it being signed

You decide where you fall :)