• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone point me to current articles / info on the overall industry?

15 posts in this topic

Can anyone point me to where I can find current articles on comic collecting, CGC stuff or just general info on the hobby? I'm looking for market reports, trends, values, interesting stories, etc. I have read the current OS guide, which is great. I searched the web and found some good sources, such as the Mile High site (good stories), the PGC mint site, etc, but most of the articles are several years old.

Like i've said in previous posts, I just got back into the hobby about 6 months ago. Just trying to feel my way around and do the research before I buy more $$$ books. I only own 1 CGC book, which i'm sure I way overpaid for. It's a ASM #38 Vol 2 CGC 9.6 Signature Series sigend by JMS. I paid about $45, but I really do love the book and the way it looks in the casing. I also have a reader copy to enjoy. Anyway, just looking for some help. By the way, these boards are great!!!

893applaud-thumb.gif

The no-longer-published "Comic Book Marketplace" is the best source for articles on collecting vintage books, while Wizard is best for current/modern books. Since Overstreet doesn't really do a monthly mag any more, it seems the only published market reports are on dealer websites, or the annual OS.

Scoop is also a good reference source... thumbsup2.gif

Comics Buyer's Guide provides several reports from dealers each month and catalogs the major CGC auctions on eBay. The price guide itself reports average prices for CGC comics sold in 9.4 on eBay more than once, and the magazine reports the overall number and value of eBay CGC auctions from month to month. There are dealer columns (including the aforementioned "Tales from the Database") -- and a couple thousand pages of articles per year on nostalgia and modern comics.

It will not be a solution for dealers needing real-time information as can be found from sources like GPA and TheComicSheet.com -- but it does serve to bring collecting topics to the wider world. It also provides a more complete monthly guide than Wizard, with its partial listings, now delivers.

Dealer advisors are welcome -- just drop Brent Frankenhoff a line at megaguide@krause.com.

John Jackson Miller

Editorial Director, Collectibles and Special Projects

F+W Publications

I also recommend Photo-Journal Guide to comics as a reference source. These are big, honkin books with photographs of most of the covers of SA and GA comics. The Marvel Editions are excellent resources as well. These books will give you an idea of what comics were published and how difficult(though not absolutely accurate) it is to find SA and GA comics.

Can anyone point me to where I can find current articles on comic collecting, CGC stuff or just general info on the hobby? I'm looking for market reports, trends, values, interesting stories, etc.

STLcomics has a permanent "Reading Room" area where users can post links to any great info sites they come across. Makes it really easy to find a wide range of comic book websites and subjects. History, restoration, pedigrees, timelines, grading, trends, etc. The STL Comics Reading Room

Please add any outstanding links you come across while doing your research. thumbsup2.gifhi.gif

Any other links or sites? The STL reading room was very cool with a lot of info.

ComicsBuyersGuide - I looked at the site but could not find the articles you mentioned. Am i missing something?

The CBG is a hardcopy mag, should be available at you local comic book store, or through mail-order subscription. Highly recommended! thumbsup2.gif