• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.8 with a folded corner
3 3

17 posts in this topic

I recently picked up a Bronze Age CGC 9.8 Star Wars book at auction.  When i got it, I noticed the bottoms right corner is folded over slightly as seen in the attached picture.  Is that a flaw that a boook can have and still get a 9.8 grade?  Or is this something that likely happened after it had been slabbed?

3EA0320C-A01D-4E8A-A56E-37C27FC17BDF.jpeg

Edited by Dergrosse13

99% chance that it happened after grading.  Could have happened during encapsulation, could be during shipment. 

Most likely the front cover extends past the pages, leaving no support for the front cover.  Then it's a simple matter for it to fold over if the comic is moved in any way toward the edge of the capsule.

With many Star Wars comics, it's a HUGE difference from 9.6 to 9.8.  GPA has this at $408 in 9.8, $111 in 9.6 using the past 90 day average.  And all recent activity showing downward movement.

I just received it.  I’ve gone back and looked at the photos of it from the CLink auction and the fold is not apparent.  Is this something that is returnable? I got it for what I regarded as a good price ($326) but now am worried this will impact its value.

On 9/11/2022 at 8:19 PM, Dergrosse13 said:

I just received it.  I’ve gone back and looked at the photos of it from the CLink auction and the fold is not apparent.  Is this something that is returnable? I got it for what I regarded as a good price ($326) but now am worried this will impact its value.

It most definitely impacts the grade and the value. I'd contact Clink about it and explain what happened. Good luck... 

Was over on the GA boards and just wondering if this is also SCS damage (likely??) or just the grading standards at the time (yikes!!!):   ???

On 9/13/2022 at 6:15 PM, szav said:

Yeah 9.9s may not have been graded by the same standard back in the day.  Granted this recently sold for $12,000 CGC 9.9 may have suffered some damage since it was slabbed.  Who bids on this and doesn't take a closer look though? (no graders notes available.  Graded in 2001).

image.png.0365b339902de774e2231bd6e4ac3847.png

image.png.e6678224e742ed8f736f10e59550e980.png

image.png.bee8d5d059997c8cfeb25e17984f17ac.png

etc

On 9/14/2022 at 1:18 AM, lou_fine said:

Was over on the GA boards and just wondering if this is also SCS damage (likely??) or just the grading standards at the time (yikes!!!):   ???

Regardless of what may have happened, there's no way I can see this as a 9.9...  

I'm fairly certain I've read about SCS cases with the other guys' slabs. Makes me think this (SCS) is an all encompassing issue.

What would it take to eliminate this? It's all about movement, correct? So we want tight, but not too tight? Is that even possible with the varying widths (millimeters or less) of comics.