• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what is File Copy

7 posts in this topic

File copies have different meanings and are often mislabeled. In this case, I'm going to guess that this is a book Murphy Anderson kept, and may have used for reference.  The original term was used for copies that companies filed away, but its been expanded to include the personal copies of an artist or a writer.  The original file cabinets were usually in great shape but with the expansion on the term that is no longer always true. 

On 9/13/2022 at 1:11 PM, Storm_Shadow said:

Thx buddy.

Well, although Anderson didn’t buy these comics from any newsstand, I think it is still okay that he’s the original owner of his copy? Other than this, any other criteria his file copy is not meeting?

I agree, I think CGC just needs to change their definition. Plus, I think lightening the stance on condition for SA books makes sense. 7.0 or better to me shows someone from the 60s clearly cared for their collection. People have to take into consideration that someone is likely to move several times in life, thus handle the books more often. I think this definition made more sense in the 90s but perhaps not today.

On 9/13/2022 at 11:30 AM, Hey!! said:

If he didn’t buy them off the newsstand himself then he's not the original owner. A better question is, which criteria did it meet? Seems like just the vintage part.

Independent of the 'pedigree' or 'file copy' definitions, it IS possible for an comic employee/creator/contractor to be the original owner of a comic even if they didn't buy them off of the newsstand.  IN many many cases in the past and to this day, artists and writers and other comic staff were issued (for free) copies of comics directly by company or could purchase (usually at a discount) them directly from the company (as opposed to a newsstand), for any number of reasons.