• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about Gaines File Copies certificate numbering
2 2

10 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Wondering how the numbering works on Gaines File Copies COAs.  I have two copies - one a 9.2 and one a 9.8 - yet both certificates are numbered 10 of 12.

On the 9.2, there are 18 copies listed in the census so it being the 10th best in the file would make sense.  

On the 9.6, there are 6 copies at 9.6 or above.

Now I know that not all the Gaines Copies may have been slabbed, but the numbering is still making me scratch my head.

So the question is - Does the #10 of 12 mean that it was the 10th best copy in the files, or just that it is one of 12 copies that received COAs?

Many thanks!

Panda2

Edited by Panda2

they were numbered as raw books decades ago, so when CGC grades are in they supplant whatever grade they were given.  No different than an early Pedigree collection list. The dealers grades are just anecdotal and fun to compare with the CGC grades, in most cases.  There are some tears involved now and then though!  "Hey, THIS was the best copy!!"  and many will have been pressed to leapfrog their cleaner (at the time) brothers.

Edited by Aman619

Thanks - this is super helpful and interesting to contemplate.  In the case of the 9.6, should I be worried that there are potentially 4 more unslabbed books that ~could~ grade out at 9.6 or higher?

Out of curiousity, when where the Gaines archives opened and distributed?  What was the mechanism to determine who could purchase them?

Many thanks! 

Panda2

Edited by Panda2

On 9/13/2022 at 12:41 PM, Panda2 said:

Thanks - this is super helpful and interesting to contemplate.  In the case of the 9.6, should I be worried that there are potentially 4 more unslabbed books that ~could~ grade out at 9.6 or higher?

Out of curiousity, when where the Gaines archives opened and distributed?  What was the mechanism to determine who could purchase them?

Many thanks! 

Panda2

The Gaines collection was brought to market in 1992. I’m sure at that time people close to Bill Gaines got first shot at the books, after a full set was set aside for each of his kids (I think I read this somewhere).

After the insiders got their fill, a list was sent around to the greater collector community. Our own @Robot Man got to buy one off of that list. I was a very active collector in those days, and I imagine that if the list survived long enough to make it to my town, I would have seen it. I never did, leading me to believe that they were gone pretty quickly.

My lone Gaines book has no certificate, but it’s provenance is noted on the CGC label.

I remember thinking at the time that these copies while stunning would turn out to be some of the worst "investments" in comics.  Up til then, you try to buy the highest graded copy you could find, and they were scarce for older better comics.  Or seek out the Pedigree copies, of which usually there was only ONE copy of each comic.  SO here comes PERFECTLY preserved 40 year old comics to market... and TWELVE copies of each.  I wasn't buying ECs, but my take was zero interest in amassing one of 12 HG "perfect copies"..  

But I was wrong, there was a bit of slack I recall after they all sold... but as years went on, they maintained collector interest and values increased nicely. Still, didn't feel special owning "one of 12!"

On 9/14/2022 at 8:48 PM, EastEnd1 said:

Have to say I own a number of Gaines EC keys, including a CSS #22, and virtually all with certificates, and they feel VERY special to me.  I suspect they feel very special to the rest of the folks that own them too as they rarely come up for sale anymore... especially CSS #22.

Completely agree with this - they are the centerpieces of my collection - it feels like holding a piece of history to me.  And certainly not going to come up for sale in the next couple of decades lol.