• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain Marvel Jr. #29 from 1945 CGC 9.9
2 2

40 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2022 at 11:00 AM, ak47po said:

Where these book hidden in a safe since printing?

Basement closet.

https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/pedigree/edgar-church-mile-high/

On 9/13/2022 at 7:52 AM, ak47po said:

CGC has given a 77-year old comic book a 9.9 grade - how is this possible?

Don't forget, it's a double cover so that helped out since the interior cover would see less wear. But as others have stated, there are older 9.9's. It can happen. I believe there's one golden age 10.0, maybe older than this book. Just looking at the outer 9.8 cover of this Cap Marvel Jr. 29, honestly even that looks super minty. It looks like this was graded back in 2000 by the way, beginning year of CGC.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 9/13/2022 at 11:48 AM, MasterChief said:

Those self-proclaimed “nerds” make it sound like the Captain Marvel Jr. was graded yesterday by CGC. It wasn’t. It was graded over 20 years ago.

I don’t remember them debating the assigned grade back in the day on the boards. Perhaps they did. But today, having been made aware of the book’s grade by an email question, they claim the assigned grade is a “CGC agenda driven news story.” lol

The CMJ#29 is not the only 9.9 to come out of the Church collection. There are at least 2 others. And they were graded over 20 years ago, too...

ZC-7_9-9_CHRUCH.thumb.jpg.4a2fa39b1fba21694a5ee836cfb24afa.jpgTC-30_9-9_CHURCH.jpg.d463b3e813e3be2059319bbed59a6867.jpgCMJ-29_9-9_CHURCH.thumb.jpg.df31cffae058ae19d9513936283983f0.jpg

You tell those nerds MasterChief!! :headbang:

Yeah, that video is the blind leading the blind. Never heard of MH?  Sad.  But what can you expect from an "expert" whose carefully constructed background to enhance his credibilty has no GA books and an FF 1 reprint on the wall?  Apparently, a whine that not every modern comic that get printed is a 9.8 off the press. 

Sadly, I watched a few minutes of the video. 

They are familiar with CGC's modern grading standards and assume that those apply to GA.  They are far from the first to be so puzzled.  Many collectors do not believe that standards should vary at all.

On 9/13/2022 at 1:13 PM, sfcityduck said:

Yeah, that video is the blind leading the blind. Never heard of MH?  Sad.  But what can you expect from an "expert" whose carefully constructed background to enhance his credibilty has no GA books and an FF 1 reprint on the wall?  Apparently, a whine that not every modern comic that get printed is a 9.8 off the press. 

That's why I can't stand a lot of these comic book content related youtubers. There's a BUNCH of them out there and they all promote themselves as experts, but are truthfully much less experienced than they realize.

On 9/13/2022 at 11:48 AM, MasterChief said:

Those self-proclaimed “nerds” make it sound like the Captain Marvel Jr. was graded yesterday by CGC. It wasn’t. It was graded over 20 years ago.

Are you saying this was before Heritage's arrival on the comic book market scene and also before CGC's ever evolving and fine-tuning of their undisclosed grading standards over the years?  :devil:

Interesting to note that every single one of the highest graded SA Marvel #1 or first appearance keys (save for about 2 of them now) were all graded way back in CGC's first year or so of operations over 20 years ago and have not been surpassed to this date yet.  hm

On 9/13/2022 at 5:09 PM, lou_fine said:

Looks like you would be wrong here as it was graded way back on November 14 of 2000:  :gossip:

CGC Cert #
Title
Captain Marvel Jr.
Issue
Issue Date
4/45
Issue Year
Publisher
Fawcett Publications
Grade
Page Quality
OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Grade Date
11/14/2000
Grade Category
Universal
Pedigree
Edgar Church (Mile High)
Label Text
Double Cover. 1st cover 9.8. 2nd cover 9.9.

Grader Notes
Front Cover Shadow
Right Bottom Front Cover Crease
Top Back Cover Small Crunch

With those last 2 defects listed in their Graders Notes though, I very much highly doubt this book would grade out as a CGC 9.9 copy if regraded today with CGC's current condition-centric focus targeting additional revenue generating defects like creases and fixabale bumps whenever possible.  hm  (shrug)

So it's a 9.2.

On 9/13/2022 at 4:17 PM, Hey!! said:

:gossip: I never said it wasn't graded in 2000, but they didn't use that type of label in 2000. Reholders retain their original grade date (thumbsu

No I know it was reholdered, but the original grade was back in 2000, and yeah, clearly someone decided to gamble and reholder between then. Grade date doesn't change though.