• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are these inside the outer case? Dust? Mold?

18 posts in this topic

Bought 2 three-jokers and noticed that both slab have the same issue - some mold like dirt inside the outer case which cannot be cleaned. Due to this I sent both in a low price, and when I try to find the 3rd one on eBay I found it is a common issue.

AEE9BA4B-1EA1-42AC-9320-27CE6CCAF8BE.thumb.jpeg.bebf777a4ea51edbfd1c28cfa3230bf3.jpeg

When I exam my other slabs I observed something similar:

36BDB3B8-D56A-481F-8A8D-62FEAA978B1A.thumb.jpeg.e12b39ec4db0b9be30f825af35b03582.jpeg

What are these annoy tiny dots? If I send these slab back to CGC and do a rehold - will the problem got solved?

Edited by Storm_Shadow

On 9/13/2022 at 12:53 PM, Storm_Shadow said:

Bought 2 three-jokers and noticed that both slab have the same issue - some mold like dirt inside the outer case which cannot be cleaned. Due to this I sent both in a low price, and when I try to find the 3rd one on eBay I found it is a common issue.

What are these annoy tiny dots? If I send these slab back to CGC and do a rehold - will the problem got solved?

It's not dirt or mold, it's just scuffing. Speculation is that it prevents Newton Rings.

On 9/14/2022 at 8:11 AM, Storm_Shadow said:

You sure it is scuffing as it is inside of outer slab?

Yes, I would bet on it. This is why:

The Newton Ring effect occurs when the 2 plastics meet. By scuffing the interior of the outer well, this prevents a flat plane from meeting a flat plane, as there are small peaks and valleys in 1 of the surfaces.

On 9/14/2022 at 8:29 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yes, I would bet on it. This is why:

The Newton Ring effect occurs when the 2 plastics meet. By scuffing the interior of the outer well, this prevents a flat plane from meeting a flat plane, as there are small peaks and valleys in 1 of the surfaces.

I used to think CGC as a modern plant, but hearing your explanation I’m now picturing it as a lovely home-made workshop with employees there wearing pajamas….

On 9/14/2022 at 8:47 AM, Storm_Shadow said:

I used to think CGC as a modern plant, but hearing your explanation I’m now picturing it as a lovely home-made workshop with employees there wearing pajamas….

If CGC uses the same process to encapsulate books that Voldy uses (I have seen Voldy in action), I am amazed more junk doesn't make it into the cases, as nothing is done in what I would consider a clean environment. 

On 9/15/2022 at 9:38 PM, joeypost said:

If CGC uses the same process to encapsulate books that Voldy uses (I have seen Voldy in action), I am amazed more junk doesn't make it into the cases, as nothing is done in what I would consider a clean environment. 

I wish Mr White is in charge of CGC - if you have seen breaking bad. 

On 9/13/2022 at 12:53 PM, Storm_Shadow said:

AEE9BA4B-1EA1-42AC-9320-27CE6CCAF8BE.thumb.jpeg.bebf777a4ea51edbfd1c28cfa3230bf3.jpeg

36BDB3B8-D56A-481F-8A8D-62FEAA978B1A.thumb.jpeg.e12b39ec4db0b9be30f825af35b03582.jpeg

My Killing Joke has the same markings on the back of the case.

Hey...better the back than the front.

I just consigned 25 CGC graded comic books with MCS. All are from the same CGC order. Every one is described on MCS with scuffs with variations of outside front, outside back, outside front and back, outside and inside, etc....

Granted, I saw the scuffs, but they were all minor and not worth the risk to send back to CGC for a fix and I understand that MCS needs to protect their sales from being returned. The QC is just in a sad state. Hope they fix it soon.

On 9/16/2022 at 9:52 PM, jokiing said:

I just consigned 25 CGC graded comic books with MCS. All are from the same CGC order. Every one is described on MCS with scuffs with variations of outside front, outside back, outside front and back, outside and inside, etc....

Granted, I saw the scuffs, but they were all minor and not worth the risk to send back to CGC for a fix and I understand that MCS needs to protect their sales from being returned. The QC is just in a sad state. Hope they fix it soon.

That's standard risk mitigation procedure for MCS.

On 9/18/2022 at 8:23 AM, Ryan. said:

That's standard risk mitigation procedure for MCS.

Yes, and a good policy. I just wish they would be more descriptive, even if it's just using the word "minor", in cases where there may be just a small scuff or scratch. Kind of leaves the buyer guessing as to how bad the case is since it's more than likely one can't see the case flaws in the scans.

On 9/16/2022 at 9:52 PM, jokiing said:

If they are on the outside, doesn't that debunk the 'NR prevention' theory?

On 9/17/2022 at 9:52 AM, jokiing said:

I’m sorry I’m new - what MCS stands for?

On 9/18/2022 at 7:01 PM, Gaard said:

If they are on the outside, doesn't that debunk the 'NR prevention' theory?

Absolutely... just pointing out that case defects come in all shapes, sizes, inside and out. Newton Rings are just one of many issues that one has to be on the lookout for with every fresh box that's delivered.