• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 194
3 3

7 posts in this topic

The book is very nice.

Other than what appears to be a subscription crease with slight color breaks all I see is...

The book does not lay flat, a couple of minute ticks on the outer edge that break color, minute wear at corners and few non color breaking spine ticks, slight color rub.

IMO, without taking the subscription crease into consideration I feel the book would be a VF/NM 9.0 - NM- 9.2, with the crease, that can barely be seen in your pics I would say you will not see a grade higher than FN/VF 7.0, all depends how CGC feels on that particular day.

FN/VF 7.0 (max)

4.5/5.0

A subscription crease is going to drop a book to FN in my eyes. The other defects, especially the fingerprints, drop the grade a little further.

Thanks for sharing.

On 9/14/2022 at 8:36 PM, grendelbo said:

fingerprints

It's bizarre to me that there appear to be quite a few copies of this book with similar fingerprints (mine is in the Spidey sense. I also have a clean copy). I have one of them and I remember 1 or 2 others being posted here in recent months. Is this bad ink? Was there someone who had especially sweaty hand packing books off the printer for Marvel in 1979? 

I wanted to say 6.0, maybe higher, especially before I noticing the sub crease. It's definitely not obvious except in the angled picture. I think you could get a 5.5, but I wouldn't want to roll the dice on this one.

On 9/14/2022 at 6:36 PM, grendelbo said:

4.5/5.0

A subscription crease is going to drop a book to FN in my eyes. The other defects, especially the fingerprints, drop the grade a little further.

Thanks for sharing.

Agreed

On 9/14/2022 at 8:36 PM, grendelbo said:

4.5/5.0

Is this the proper place to ask a general grading question with this book as the example?

I understand it is the number and severity of defects that must be considered. 

But when you find one defect that will drop the grade significantly to a lower level, like the subscription crease here to a 6.0, do other defects that may be allowed for a 6.0 (?)  take the grade down further?