• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GPAnalysis/sales data
2 2

39 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Curious as to why GPAnalysis and seemingly other sites only use limited data from certain sources to report on current auction values?  ComicLink seems conspicuously absent - is this because of lack of data access/privacy?  Or some other reason I haven't thought of?  It would seem logical to have some sort of aggregator that truly gives a snapshot of where the market is.

Many thanks

Panda2

This has been discussed in other threads and I can't remember the specific reason why,  but I believe Clink hasn't given their permission to use / mine their data. 

Even their fine print on the site prohibits data mining. 

I also know bigger dealers often don't disclose sales to GPA. 

So it's an incomplete picture, but still the best resource for pricing data. 

On 9/16/2022 at 8:06 PM, Bird said:

I believe (but may be wrong) that gpa COULD scrape the data but respects clink's desire not to do so.

My guess given how antiquated clinks site is their back-ends are no different thus no API.   1999 called - it wants its website back

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/17/2022 at 8:35 AM, namisgr said:

Love ComicLink as a long-time buyer and seller on the website both.  For GPA, they are one of several large national dealers who consider their sales data proprietary and more valuable for them to keep private.

<sarcasm> Yes I can tell that by the way they they do not advertise their current past record breaking sales </sarcasm>

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/17/2022 at 9:29 AM, Seared said:

lol Josh only said that after George denied him. Josh would fall over himself making that data public if he was allowed to manipulate it.

The truth is that ComicLink has declined to make their sales data available to GPA since the advent of GPA.  So, too, have several other national dealers.  It's their perogative based on how they perceive it would impact their business.

Doesn't change in the least that ComicLink is a great site for selling books and also a great site for buying them.

On 9/17/2022 at 9:57 AM, namisgr said:

A few data releases for advertising does not make for a site-wide generally policy.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/auctionschedule.asp#Past Auction Results

Most of their past auction data they make available at above link. Possible they just don't want to spend any money modernizing their tech to accommodate API or other reasons but privacy does not seem to have anything to do with it.

Comiclink is a decent venue overall but the site being nearly 20 years out of date tech and feature-wise IMHO does them no favors.  

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/17/2022 at 10:00 AM, MAR1979 said:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/auctionschedule.asp#Past Auction Results

Most of their past auction data they make available at above link. 

Comiclink is a decent venue overall but the site being nearly 20 years out of date tech and feature-wise IMHO does them no favors.  

Only a very small fraction of their auction results are part of that archive.

I have no problems navigating the site.  My main complaint is the lack of availability of back cover scans.

C'mon guys. Clink vs. GPA was played out right here on the Boards. In the following thread, Ghost Town supplies a link to the original, which is now gone. However, pertinent sections from it are quoted:

In a nutshell, as was already mentioned, Clink only wanted to report certain sales as opposed to every sale, GPA did not want to only use only the big-ticket, high end sales.

I am glad GPA took that position, but if Clink doesn't want to report to GPA that's fine and their prerogative, the same as any other dealer or website.

On 9/17/2022 at 12:34 PM, Seared said:

That's not correct:

I didn't see anything indicating that ComicLink ever supplied GPA with their sales data.  Perhaps it's buried somewhere in that thread?  I can tell you that as a charter member of GPA and having bought comics through the Link since 2005, and having been on the Boards since 2004, I don't recall the Link ever providing GPA with their sales data.  If they did for a time, it must have been extremely brief.

If you're talking about wanting to supply only a fraction of their sales data, that would be consistent with my earlier post that they didn't wish to supply their data to GPA since GPA's inception.  I don't doubt the story that ComicLink may have offered to provide selected sales only (a portion of their data, rather than their data).  And they're far from the only ones who've decided that the proprietary sales information was more important than having it reported to GPA.  

Edited by namisgr

On 9/17/2022 at 2:27 PM, Seared said:

So you can prove Josh didn't want to supply data by showing that he wanted to supply data? :makepoint:

This makes no sense.  He didn't want to provide his sales database.  Several other national dealers also didn't want to provide their sales databases.  So they didn't.

You seem hung up on something other than what I've been posting about.

On 9/17/2022 at 2:35 PM, Seared said:

Nope. You're just twisting words, like data and database, to apparently stick up for your buddy? 

Never met him.  As for 'words', a sales database is a sales database.  They are what GPA sought out to create their own database.  There's a whole list of national dealers who refused to give GPA access to their sales databases.  Several of them are great dealers, great for the hobby, and the polar opposite of your negative take, in my opinion.

Edited by namisgr

On 9/17/2022 at 2:35 PM, Seared said:

Nope. You're just twisting words, like data and database, to apparently stick up for your buddy? Josh is a greedy, manipulative, dirtbag whose moral compass is not wound at all. Remember when he encouraged people to pay him with PayPal F+F? Real nice.

Curious as to how someone with such little history here believes it’s ok to disparage a well known and respected dealer?  My advice, take a couple weeks off the boards to consider what I’ve said and then quit the boards altogether. 

On 9/17/2022 at 3:03 PM, Seared said:
Where does Josh say "sales database"?
 comiclink said:

I actually recently offered to start supplying some realized prices (selected higher dollar sales) to GPA and they did not appear to be interested.

Thanks,

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

gpanalysis said:
Josh, we can continue going over this. You want to report some sales to us, we would rather you reported all sales. Other than the chart busters section on our home page, there is no identifier as to where the sale comes from. I can't force you to report to us, you can't force me to change my policy. Dealers are free to do what they want, buyers are free to do what they want.

I stand by my service and don't believe it misleads in any way. If that is your opinion, well, that is your opinion. You ultimately deal directly with your customers and you are best placed to put your argument forward for whatever position you hold for any and all issues.

Is that what makes him a “dirtbag” in your words?  20 years why hide behind a shill ?

On 9/17/2022 at 3:16 PM, Seared said:

Do you want me to list them?

Please no.  

On 9/17/2022 at 3:16 PM, Seared said:

s your moral compass wound too tight or is it loose like Josh's?

The 43 consummated without issue deals I’ve had with CL. Res ipsa loquitur.