• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GPAnalysis/sales data
2 2

39 posts in this topic

On 9/17/2022 at 3:03 PM, Seared said:
Where does Josh say "sales database"?
 comiclink said:

I actually recently offered to start supplying some realized prices (selected higher dollar sales) to GPA and they did not appear to be interested.

Thanks,

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

gpanalysis said:
Josh, we can continue going over this. You want to report some sales to us, we would rather you reported all sales. Other than the chart busters section on our home page, there is no identifier as to where the sale comes from. I can't force you to report to us, you can't force me to change my policy. Dealers are free to do what they want, buyers are free to do what they want.

I stand by my service and don't believe it misleads in any way. If that is your opinion, well, that is your opinion. You ultimately deal directly with your customers and you are best placed to put your argument forward for whatever position you hold for any and all issues.

Here's how it went, to summarize the above.  George/GPA came to Josh.  He offered a deal to pay Josh for his sales database.  A 'database' differs from data in its completeness.  Josh declined the deal, instead offering to provide select sales data.  George/GPA declined, and that was the end of discussion.

So the difference between having access to the ComicLink sales database or to select sales data is important enough to have been the dealbreaker between the two companies.  And as someone who was a professional writer, I was careful to make the distinction right from the start of posting in this thread.

Edited by namisgr

On 9/17/2022 at 3:35 PM, Seared said:

e was clearly aware that it was "illegal

I’m not familiar with the circumstances of this so I have no idea what he’s “aware” of.   I know it violates the board’s rules to ask for it in sales threads (but I use it all the time when buying from boardies with more than say 23 posts) It’s also most likely a violation of PayPal’s user agreement. Is it a violation of state or federal law?  Don’t remember Professor Schlegel teaching me that in Law School. To repeat, why are you using a shill account to do this?

Once again, for years I've worked repeatedly and successfully with ComicLink for both buying and selling comics.  Bought a lot of comics from them starting around the time their company started.  Like others who've posted already, I invariably paid for comics by check to avoid any additional fees.  Sold six figure consignments with them on several occasions over the past 12 years, and each time was paid promptly and in full.  I never once experienced a significant problem.  I don't see the company the way you see it at all.

Edited by namisgr

This thread will be gone by Monday, so get your shots in against whomever you want now.  But when a friend who's a national dealer explains a situation to me, I've got information direct from the source that makes your claim above specious.

Edited by namisgr

On 9/17/2022 at 4:10 PM, namisgr said:

This thread will be gone by Monday

He knows it. Why else would he be using a bs Id. When I do use ff to purchase books here I am buying from friends and am willingly foregoing the buyer protections PayPal offers. Because I TRUST them and the Boards to weed out the malcontents. By the way, does PayPal mail you a Christmas card? By you I mean seared. 

Edited by ThothAmon

On 9/17/2022 at 4:17 PM, ThothAmon said:

He knows it. Why else would he be using a bs Id. When I do use ff to purchase books here I am buying from friends and am willingly foregoing the buyer protections PayPal offers. Because I TRUST them and the Boards to weed out the malcontents. By the way, does PayPal mail you a Christmas card?

No but they will mail you a 1099a over $600.00

On 9/17/2022 at 3:32 PM, Seared said:

Have you ever purchased from Pedigree Comics? You know, the lawyer who was disbarred for stealing money from his elderly clients to fund his multi-million dollar comic collection? He's the third person on the Mt Rushmore of comic dirtbags - Schmell, Nathanson, and Nelson. Who will be the fourth? Ewart? Danny/Richard/Perry? 

Stu - your list is skewed. 

There is a difference between guys like Danny and Schmell who intentional and deliberately scammed people and guys like Nelson and  Jason who are running businesses.

You might not agree with all the decisions Matt and Jason make, but they are dealing with a multitude of variables that you and I aren't privy to.

There is a clear distinction between unpopular business decisions and lying about Warehouse finds and micro trimming books. 

I think your venom towards clink and Matt is misguided.   As others have said, dealing with clink as a buyer or seller is about as good of an experience as you could hope for. 

On 9/17/2022 at 3:46 PM, namisgr said:

And as someone who was a professional writer, I was careful to make the distinction right from the start of posting in this thread.

On 9/17/2022 at 2:24 PM, namisgr said:

As a research scientist before retirement, data was my life.  Not parts of it.  (shrug)

any other careers?  "oil well firefighter" or perhaps "matador"  :baiting:

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/20/2022 at 10:37 AM, MAR1979 said:

any other careers?  "oil well firefighter" or perhaps "matador"  :baiting:

As a scientist, I co-authored over 115 original research papers totaling over 1000 published pages that were read worldwide.  Adding in dozens of 20-100 page grant applications and the writing was even more important.  (shrug)

But I didn't make these data available to GPA (nobody asked), and was a wee bit away from any best seller list.  :wink:

Edited by namisgr

I think my dad is the only person I've ever known who worked for the same company his entire career (like literally from being a teenager to retirement), although that used to be a much more common professional timeline.  Coincidentally, I was recounting my own "professional career" at a birthday dinner the other night to a career CIA officer and almost started laughing when I got to the 5th different kind of job almost 25 years ago.  Having good what are known today as "soft skills" can lead to interesting places.