• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice Needed, $500 keys

8 posts in this topic

Howdy all,

Going to my first con tomorrow 9/24 and I have about $500 to spend.  Looking to grab a key.  What are some keys out there in that range that I can look for?  Few pieces of info; I tend to collect more DC than Marvel, though I am a big Hulk/She Hulk fan with Spider-Man being up there as well.  DC, big fan of everything especially Sups/Bats.  I do collect some indy's.  Open to all ages though my collection is mainly Silver-Copper.  And I tend to be a cover collector as well with an emphasis on Cheesecake/Bad Girl art (not dirty, but think Betty/Veronica to Adam Hughes type covers).  Hope it helps, I tend to just wonder and not focus so I'm just trying to narrow my search.

On 9/23/2022 at 1:48 PM, Ares said:

Graded or Raw?

Go for Raw and submit to CGC yourself. 

You will get more bank for your buck

Yeah, but he should be cautious as if his grading skills aren’t great it could be the difference between over paying For a book and getting a deal… 

On 9/23/2022 at 2:23 PM, Krismusic said:

Yeah, but he should be cautious as if his grading skills aren’t great it could be the difference between over paying For a book and getting a deal… 

I don't have have terrible grading skills, but certainly could be better. 

On 9/23/2022 at 12:20 PM, Brewcrewfan77 said:

Howdy all,

Going to my first con tomorrow 9/24 and I have about $500 to spend.  Looking to grab a key.  What are some keys out there in that range that I can look for?  Few pieces of info; I tend to collect more DC than Marvel, though I am a big Hulk/She Hulk fan with Spider-Man being up there as well.  DC, big fan of everything especially Sups/Bats.  I do collect some indy's.  Open to all ages though my collection is mainly Silver-Copper.  And I tend to be a cover collector as well with an emphasis on Cheesecake/Bad Girl art (not dirty, but think Betty/Veronica to Adam Hughes type covers).  Hope it helps, I tend to just wonder and not focus so I'm just trying to narrow my search.

As Shad has already stated...I would sweep the floor and see what’s actually out there first.  By narrowing your focus you might miss a great book you hadn’t even thought of.  

The focus comes in sticking to a single book for $500.  Don’t get lost chiseling away your stash on a bunch of $25 books as you wander around.2c