• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this letter “C” a pedigree marking?

7 posts in this topic

Evening all —- reaching out to those of you more knowledgeable in GA pedigrees than myself. (I know next to nothing, haha).

Is this pencil “C” a known pedigree marking? The book is Green Mask #4, Vol. 2, 1947. 

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it!

E783E1D2-409F-43EE-8AAA-6704A4B40EAE.jpeg

AC16FDBB-5508-4A0D-BFF0-60F18CDE8B79.jpeg

I'm unsure about the pedigree status, but I know a seizure inducing avatar when I see one! :bigsmile:

Seriously, it might be worth looking through CGC's recognized pedigrees on Matt's old webpage (link below). Identifying with just a "C" is tough without other distributer markings present, but this may help...

http://www.comicpedigrees.com

On 9/25/2022 at 1:20 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

I'm unsure about the pedigree status, but I know a seizure inducing avatar when I see one! :bigsmile:

Seriously, it might be worth looking through CGC's recognized pedigrees on Matt's old webpage (link below). Identifying with just a "C" is tough without other distributer markings present, but this may help...

http://www.comicpedigrees.com

Thank you! I had browsed that site pretty thoroughly, and it rocks. But, I'm still not sure about this book with the "C". I've read that some Edgar Church copies from 1945 and later may have had just a simple "M" or "C" initial without any date code. And, this letter "C" resembles that on some Ohio copies I've looked up. But, you're right --- this sole letter C is not much to go on. No matter, I was really pleased to find this book in a collection I bought recently, and it's got a forever home in my PC now. I'm tempted to submit for grading just to see whether the pros make any note of the pencil mark or not.

I've seen Ohio copies that have only have the penciled "C" without any numbers following it. I owned the Young Allies #20 Ohio copy at one time, and it was coded that way. I don't own it anymore but found a pic online of it. Curious in that when I owned it, it was a certified 8.0, now it's a 7.5 for some reason. Anyway, you can see what I'm talking about with the 'C' without any numbers.

Young Allies 20 Ohio.jpg