• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC now featuring newsstand copy designation
6 6

215 posts in this topic

On 9/26/2022 at 9:47 AM, buttock said:

I think collectors are genuinely interested in having the designation on labels and prices paid support that.  But they are neither increasing nor decreasing in rarity.  They should have said "Because of increasing collector demand."

I totally agree no newsstand is rare at least not prior to 1986. Less populous in highest grades perhaps. but more rare certainly not.

Still CGC wants to to cash in big time on re-holdering! Which is the only reason they are doing it.

Edited by MAR1979

Just so I'll know:

Why did they do it already for some books without a "price difference" than direct?

Example: this X-force #116? Is it the "mature readers?"

4930491_Full_Obv.jpg?t=OC8yMi8yMDIyIDg6Mjg6NTQgUE0%3d

and then this BATMAN?

It already had a "label notation" but ??? 

I believe the non newsstand of this cover would have the same "notation", so idk :sorry: 

4930427_Full_Rev.jpg?t=OC8yMi8yMDIyIDg6Mjc6NDkgUE0%3d

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

My point being that they already did it for "some"

and not just one's with a "price difference" than direct, but 

I guess this consolidates it into: all of them that "also have a direct version!" lol 

I wonder if this will make their job easier? or more things that can be mistaken?

On 9/26/2022 at 10:45 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

My point being that they already did it for "some"

and not just one's with a "price difference" than direct, but 

I guess this consolidates it into: all of them that "also have a direct version!" lol 

I wonder if this will make their job easier? or more things that can be mistaken?

yep

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/26/2022 at 10:07 AM, Axelrod said:

Because notating something that is readily apparent from looking at the cover (in the vast majority of cases, at least) is much more important than identifying defects which are hidden inside the sealed holder and completely unable to be detected.

I do agree - although over the last year I've seen eBay and other venue sellers hoping to rope in a few rubes start to advertise many pre-June 1979 Bronze Age Marvel's as "Newsstand Editions"

At cons and youtube carp I've heard the phrase "It's a Newsstand Baby" uttered by sellers for pre-June 1979 Bronze Age Marvel's...

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/26/2022 at 9:07 AM, Axelrod said:

Because notating something that is readily apparent from looking at the cover (in the vast majority of cases, at least) is much more important than identifying defects which are hidden inside the sealed holder and completely unable to be detected.

^^^ also this

On 9/26/2022 at 10:19 AM, Klonk said:

Radioactive Man # 1 Direct had a poster inside, the Newsstand did not. 

Then there were "some" that newsstand had a different paper stock or something, that is just :pullhair: a lot to keep up with lol 

I don't knock it, as it creates a niche for some, but idk, it seems like a "lot!"

Hoping that, less mistakes are made, or that, CGC doesn't do away with the OLD when incorporating the NEW :wishluck: 

On 9/26/2022 at 10:46 AM, ThothAmon said:

I love the idea. Finally it will shut up people on both sides of the debate with real data. As to why their doing it?  Collector demand for sure and my guess that CGC has almost finished with its glut and has a ton of excess processing capacity they need to fill. 

ahem I have economy from OCT last year and March this year that beg to differ lol 

I can see you're point though :) I still wonder how it will be "labeled" and those of price difference or other "reasons" for newsstand, if it will appear the same? or will those of the past now be mixed and watered down :shy: I don't know seems to prevail.