• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC now featuring newsstand copy designation
6 6

215 posts in this topic

Here's one in my collection I'd like to have marked as "newsstand" on the label. Yes, it's readily apparent by looking at it that this is not the standard edition, so the label notation isn't adding anything as important as a Mark Jewelers or Mennen ad insert notice.  But, if nothing else, the 15 points this issue is worth to the registry are certainly not representative of the notability of this issue.  Maybe it's not important to note Spidey head vs. UPC on a random, plentiful Copper Age comic like Avengers 288, but there certainly are cases where it may be important.

20220929_193031.jpg

On 9/30/2022 at 7:46 AM, Sigur Ros said:
On 9/29/2022 at 9:36 AM, valiantman said:

For those who don't want to read the October 2021 estimates article, here are some fun graphics:

692296235_Holland-2021-10-021.png.ebb0de4128eb18ad1b62ab7b55540c95.png

1717890606_Holland-2021-10-041.png.1100dd66be03b9256eaf1db85582a59b.png

495845413_Holland-2021-10-031.png.e844bc17a17f929baa76500a49814ea1.png

718218626_Holland-2021-10-081.png.ccb2c6c65cfd9319db5d8d000eef5480.png

Expand  

Uh oh..Screenshot_20220930-084605_Google.thumb.jpg.d20de97f4334e13cce3dc7941495f70f.jpg

I'm happy to revise the charts based on additional data.

However, the plural of "anecdote" or "feeling" is not "data". :grin:

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

@CGC MikeI'm currently about to submit some multipack G.I. Joes... On the online submission form for comics, is there a place to designate Newstand or Multipack as the news release indicated? I can't see anything. Maybe I'm dumb :) or am I supposed to just write it on the form when I submit.. 

These G.I. Joe multipacks which have second printings in them.. if I remove them, they look just like all the other second printings. As such, how does the CGC know they are from Multipacks? Should I include the bag or ... keep them in the bag when submitting? (I know I'm supposed to send them in individually bagged/boarded.. but then to me it seems impossible for the CGC to know they were actually from a multipack and would be just taking submitters word for it? )

Thanks!

On 9/30/2022 at 1:29 PM, ivegotneatstuff said:

@CGC MikeI'm currently about to submit some multipack G.I. Joes... On the online submission form for comics, is there a place to designate Newstand or Multipack as the news release indicated? I can't see anything. Maybe I'm dumb :) or am I supposed to just write it on the form when I submit.. 

These G.I. Joe multipacks which have second printings in them.. if I remove them, they look just like all the other second printings. As such, how does the CGC know they are from Multipacks? Should I include the bag or ... keep them in the bag when submitting? (I know I'm supposed to send them in individually bagged/boarded.. but then to me it seems impossible for the CGC to know they were actually from a multipack and would be just taking submitters word for it? )

Thanks!

???

You're talking about comics with only the single version. There are no "other second printings" so there's no need for any special designation.

On 9/30/2022 at 3:07 PM, Lazyboy said:

???

You're talking about comics with only the single version. There are no "other second printings" so there's no need for any special designation.

Well specifically I'm talking about the books in these bags - would these not be considered "multipack" books? 

IMG_5486.JPG.9b4238271300054ae55e64b71bc1c16d.JPG

On 9/30/2022 at 3:24 PM, ivegotneatstuff said:

Well specifically I'm talking about the books in these bags - would these not be considered "multipack" books? 

IMG_5486.JPG.9b4238271300054ae55e64b71bc1c16d.JPG

No, that is G.I. Joe, A Real American Hero #2 Second Printing. CGC already identifies it properly as G.I. Joe, A Real American Hero #2 Second Printing. There is no other version of G.I. Joe, A Real American Hero #2 Second Printing from which it need to be differentiated.

The same is true for other reprints that were specifically made for those packs.

Edited by Lazyboy
additional clarification

On 9/30/2022 at 6:18 PM, Lazyboy said:

No, that is G.I. Joe, A Real American Hero #2 Second Printing. CGC already identifies it properly as G.I. Joe, A Real American Hero #2 Second Printing. There is no other version of G.I. Joe, A Real American Hero #2 Second Printing from which it need to be differentiated.

The same is true for other reprints that were specifically made for those packs.

Did the 2nd printing ONLY come in multi-packs?

On 9/30/2022 at 5:29 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Did the 2nd printing ONLY come in multi-packs?

Yes, they were made at a later date exclusively for the packs rather than quickly going back to print for the regular market due to demand for the first printing. Regardless, there is still only one version.

• Administrator
On 9/30/2022 at 2:29 PM, ivegotneatstuff said:

Thanks!

Hello

It's possible that @Lazyboy has answered your question.  I do not know if there were more than 1 print.   I do know that in the past, we needed written permission to open any sealed packs.  I do not think that has changed.   So, If you wanted to send us these sealed, let me know and I will find out exactly what you need to do.  I didn't see the G.I Joe Multipack in the OSF list.  You can click on the "I can't see my comic link" and type it in that way.  If you have any concerns, send me a PM, and I will contact customer service for you.    As far as identifying them, here is what we wrote in the article.  

Marvel multi-pack editions

Between 1977 and 1979, just prior to Marvel’s move to direct distribution, numerous issues from several Marvel titles were printed with altered covers and distributed in pre-sealed multi-packs. The main alteration consisted of placing the price and issue number within a diamond, rather than the traditional square box. These variants have sometimes been referred to as “Whitman variants” in the community, but some multi-packs were released by other distributors as well.

mutipack%20marvel%20120220922105723451.j multipack%20marvel%20220220922105843778.
Marvel Regular Edition (1978) Marvel Multi-Pack Edition (1978)

DC multi-pack editions

DC also released their version of multi-packs in the 1990s, specifically containing issues of Zero Hour and DC Universe (DCU). Zero Hour issues are identified by the Zero Hour symbol placed inside the UPC/art box, and DCU issues by the DCU title placed inside the UPC/art box. In addition to acknowledging newsstand editions, CGC will also identify both Marvel and DC multi-pack copies with a notation of “Multi-Pack Edition” on the label.

dc%20logo%20120220922105943618.jpg dc%20logo%20220220922110008046.jpg
DC Direct (1993) DC Multi-Pack (1993)

dc%20logo%20320220922110028418.jpg
DC Newsstand (1993)

multipack%20dc%20120220922110145021.jpg multipack%20dc%20220220922110211110.jpg
Zero Hour Direct (1994) Zero Hour Multi-Pack (1994)

On 9/27/2022 at 8:38 PM, valiantman said:

I'm also a "memory" based collector, which is why I seek newsstands. My hometown had zero comic shops. There were no direct editions. There was not a place to buy bags and boards. The newsstand books I could buy were in the path of the misting nozzles for the produce in the grocery store. Newsstands in high grade were unicorns in my hometown. Buying direct editions with bags and boards in bigger cities seemed like cheating. lol

This is exactly why I seek newsstands. Not because they’re more rare, but because most of the comics I held onto over the years are newsstand editions from neighborhood markets and, well, actual newsstands. So I enjoy filling holes in my collection with newsstand editions (for consistency and out of nostalgia).