• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Graded super-8 films! Now we’re talking!

19 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2022 at 10:09 PM, NoMan said:

Coming soon from somebody. Star Wars  is their first Super-8 graded film. What next 16mm graded films? 

I've read that the original star wars as shown in theaters footage simply does not exist anywhere.

On 9/29/2022 at 3:19 PM, Cushing Fan said:

Super 8 films are cool but unfortunately most companies used a cheap film stock that turned red over time. Unless you have a b/w super 8 film - they usually still look good. 

Exactly.  Are they grading the box or the film?  It makes no sense to me. 

On 9/29/2022 at 3:36 PM, sfcityduck said:

Exactly.  Are they grading the box or the film?  It makes no sense to me. 

they are grading the box with the film in it similar to grading a VHS tape bow with the tape in box

As far as the super 8 film itself goes, it does bring up interesting questions as how they are going to grade that: how many home made splices? were the splices tape or cement? frames missing? sprocket holes torn? scenes missing? celluloid scratches? color fade?    it all seems kinda stupid

Edited by NoMan

On 9/29/2022 at 6:19 PM, Cushing Fan said:

Super 8 films are cool but unfortunately most companies used a cheap film stock that turned red over time. Unless you have a b/w super 8 film - they usually still look good. 

I still have the Super 8 Castle and Universal8 films, all b/w and with the original boxes. I don't really want to sell them, but if they start going for nutty prices, I might change my mind.

On 9/30/2022 at 3:08 AM, Larryw7 said:

I still have the Super 8 Castle and Universal8 films, all b/w and with the original boxes. I don't really want to sell them, but if they start going for nutty prices, I might change my mind.

I have a really nice complete 3 reel Super 8 edition of The Avengers episode Return of the Cybernaughts starring Peter Cushing.  Got it from a friend in England and the colors are still good on this print. Had a blast screening it for friends this summer on a screen in the backyard. 

20220306_195351.jpg

On 9/29/2022 at 4:59 PM, kav said:

I've read that the original star wars as shown in theaters footage simply does not exist anywhere.

There may have been others who have taken up the mantle the last few years but I stopped keeping track in 2019 - Harmy's last version is my go to version. At the time it was about as close as one could get to the original. But yeah is an affront to history regardless of what Lucus was entitled to do with what was his property.

Edited by MAR1979