• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE! HARDCOVER NOW AVAILABLE! Pre-Order Your Copy of ‘The Official CGC Guide to Grading.
10 10

230 posts in this topic

On 10/3/2022 at 8:27 AM, Kripsys99 said:

Mark my words, a new, paid grievance process is coming from CGC to coincide with the release of the book. Rather than cracking and resubmitting your book in the hopes it gets a different grade, you will now be able to fill out a form, using the principles outlined in the Grading Guide, and submit a list of arguments for why your book deserves a higher grade. This service will, of course, come at a premium.

I would like to send them all the 9.4 slabs I have purchased that have 9.0 books in them for a refund.

On 11/19/2022 at 6:00 PM, lizards2 said:

I would like to send them all the 9.4 slabs I have purchased that have 9.0 books in them for a refund.

I wish you could just return the overgraded  carp to the source  for a refund.  I can’t believe some of the books CGC puts 9+ labels on. :facepalm:

On 11/19/2022 at 4:35 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I wish you could just return the overgraded  carp to the source  for a refund.  I can’t believe some of the books CGC puts 9+ labels on. :facepalm:

Over time, I have found them to be about 35% undergraded, 35% overgraded, and 30% the actual grade.

Ideally, I would be able to inspect the books in person before I purchase, but that is never the case anymore, as I don't go to stores or conventions.

Unfortunately, I have to rely on scans/photos, and unreliable/unavailable grader's notes.

On 11/19/2022 at 5:58 PM, lizards2 said:

Over time, I have found them to be about 35% undergraded, 35% overgraded, and 30% the actual grade.

Ideally, I would be able to inspect the books in person before I purchase, but that is never the case anymore, as I don't go to stores or conventions.

Unfortunately, I have to rely on scans/photos, and unreliable/unavailable grader's notes.

Doesn't seem to matter how nice a book looks in the pics.  More often than not....it's a disappointment when it arrives & you inspect the book in hand.  I'm not seeing much in the undergraded department.   Usually if a book looks undergraded in hand, the notes will tell of something I can't see.

On 11/19/2022 at 6:22 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Doesn't seem to matter how nice a book looks in the pics.  More often than not....it's a disappointment when it arrives & you inspect the book in hand.  I'm not seeing much in the undergraded department.   Usually if a book looks undergraded in hand, the notes will tell of something I can't see.

It is also really difficult in many cases to see many types of flaws until you remove the outer well. That is usually when I say, "Oh carp!" :cry:

So, if you can see something that makes you think it is overgraded, trust me, there are likely more flaws.

I've found the notes to be non-existent in many of the books I have been buying or attempting to buy, or not telling the whole story on the books I crack out.

On 11/19/2022 at 6:26 PM, lizards2 said:

It is also really difficult in many cases to see many types of flaws until you remove the outer well. That is usually when I say, "Oh carp!" :cry:

So, if you can see something that makes you think it is overgraded, trust me, there are likely more flaws.

I've found the notes to be non-existent in many of the books I have been buying or attempting to buy, or not telling the whole story on the books I crack out.

Thankfully the 2 slabs I recently picked up for my PC look accurately graded.:cloud9:

It's nice to know that if you crack the books out,  you don't have to automatically downgrade them.   

On 11/19/2022 at 6:33 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Thankfully the 2 slabs I recently picked up for my PC look accurately graded.:cloud9:

It's nice to know that if you crack the books out,  you don't have to automatically downgrade them.   

Here is an example - I'm bidding on a book on eBay, and here are the grader's notes - unavailable. Why? You can see visible flaws, but are they not worth noting?

CGC Cert #
Title
Avengers
Issue
Issue Date
2/67
Issue Year
Publisher
Marvel Comics
Grade
Page Quality
OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Grade Date
11/05/2015
Grade Category
Universal
Art Comments
Roy Thomas story
Don Heck art
Gil Kane cover
Key Comments
Black Widow appearance.
Grader Notes
Unavailable

On 11/20/2022 at 1:45 PM, lizards2 said:

Here is an example - I'm bidding on a book on eBay, and here are the grader's notes - unavailable. Why? You can see visible flaws, but are they not worth noting?

CGC Cert #
Title
Avengers
Issue
Issue Date
2/67
Issue Year
Publisher
Marvel Comics
Grade
Page Quality
OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Grade Date
11/05/2015
Grade Category
Universal
Art Comments
Roy Thomas story
Don Heck art
Gil Kane cover
Key Comments
Black Widow appearance.
Grader Notes
Unavailable

Skip it, and go to MCS and make an offer on their white paged copy 

On 11/20/2022 at 10:51 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

hm

On 11/20/2022 at 11:01 AM, lizards2 said:
On 11/20/2022 at 10:51 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

That one actually has grader's notes:  very light spine stress lines to cover

On 11/20/2022 at 12:30 PM, Kneel Before Dox said:
On 11/20/2022 at 10:45 AM, lizards2 said:

Isn't that how CGC used to be? If the flaws were obvious by looking at the book they didn't note them?

I have never heard that.

On 11/20/2022 at 11:26 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Doesn’t say “breaks colour”(thumbsu

Not feeling that LRC though 

Upon further review, both the eBay and Mycomicshop 9.4s appear to be 9.0s. :p

I have a raw 9.0, which I suppose could be a 9.4 after looking at these copies :p :p

:sorry: 

On 11/20/2022 at 3:50 PM, lizards2 said:

Upon further review, both the eBay and Mycomicshop 9.4s appear to be 9.0s. :p

I have a raw 9.0, which I suppose could be a 9.4 after looking at these copies :p :p

:sorry: 

CGC grades are basically just price tags now.  As you are painfully aware, the grades can’t be trusted.  Why “upgrade” your raw 9.0 to a slabbed 9.0 with a 9.4 label?  I don’t know when half a dozen CB spine hits became allowable in 9.4, or when CB corner creases became allowable in 9.2

I just recently started buying slabs again, but I think I’m done.   Prices are too high to deal with the disappointment of overgraded carp. 

On 11/20/2022 at 1:16 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I don’t know when half a dozen CB spine hits became allowable in 9.4, or when CB corner creases became allowable in 9.2

I just recently started buying slabs again, but I think I’m done.   Prices are too high to deal with the disappointment of overgraded carp. 

9.2? Check out the color breaking crease on this 9.4 - I think the seller purposely blurred the full scan below to keep the crease from showing.

9.4 my @zz :eyeroll:

image.thumb.jpeg.c4fcad78b7d6418a17493be08a55267b.jpeg

Adv355cgc9.4.thumb.jpg.36d02b9f9f9bfd376f0a964c4a402984.jpg

I bought this slab back when you had to buy individual grader's notes for each book. I wish I had done that at the time and spared myself some grief.

CGC Cert #
Title
Adventure Comics
Issue
Issue Date
4/67
Issue Year
Publisher
D.C. Comics
Grade
Page Quality
OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Grade Date
05/14/2012
Grade Category
Universal
Art Comments
Jim Shooter and Otto Binder stories
Curt Swan and George Klein cover and art
Key Comments
Legion of Super-Villains appearance.
Insect Queen joins Legion as reservist.
Grader Notes
Left Bottom Back Cover Lite Wear
Right Bottom Front Cover Small Crease Breaks Color

On 11/20/2022 at 5:14 PM, lizards2 said:

9.2? Check out the color breaking crease on this 9.4 - I think the seller purposely blurred the full scan below to keep the crease from showing.

9.4 my @zz :eyeroll:

image.thumb.jpeg.c4fcad78b7d6418a17493be08a55267b.jpeg

Adv355cgc9.4.thumb.jpg.36d02b9f9f9bfd376f0a964c4a402984.jpg

I bought this slab back when you had to buy individual grader's notes for each book. I wish I had done that at the time and spared myself some grief.

CGC Cert #
Title
Adventure Comics
Issue
Issue Date
4/67
Issue Year
Publisher
D.C. Comics
Grade
Page Quality
OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Grade Date
05/14/2012
Grade Category
Universal
Art Comments
Jim Shooter and Otto Binder stories
Curt Swan and George Klein cover and art
Key Comments
Legion of Super-Villains appearance.
Insect Queen joins Legion as reservist.
Grader Notes
Left Bottom Back Cover Lite Wear
Right Bottom Front Cover Small Crease Breaks Color

Intentional blurry pic 

Ruthless 

On 11/30/2022 at 4:59 PM, ak47po said:

Act now limited signed Hard cover by Matt Nelson.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10586/cgc-guide-grading-comics-nelson/

250801831_Screenshot(181).thumb.png.b16a1a3a662de29c1721b2780262a715.png

@F For Fake f for real this time lol