• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone win anything from the Henry Anderson collection?

22 posts in this topic

I did not win anything ...

CRANSTON, RI, UNITED STATES, September 16, 2022 /EINPresswire.com/ -- The Henry Anderson collection of Golden Age comic books – modest in size, at just 150 lots, but important in content, with comics that include Detective Comics #38 (April 1940) and Wonder Woman #1 (Summer 1942), both from D.C. Comics – will come up for bid on Saturday, October 1st, by Bruneau & Co. Auctioneers, beginning at 10 am Eastern time.

The auction will be held online and in the Bruneau & Co. gallery. Born in 1931, Henry Anderson grew up in the Edgewood neighborhood of Cranston, R.I., where he purchased comics from the local drugstore on Broad Street. From 1938 thru 1947, he collected 163 comic books published by D.C. Comics, Dell, Fawcett, Fiction House, Harvey and others.

Henry was mostly drawn to military comic books, having been nine years old at the start of WWII in Europe. Of all the titles he collected, he followed Fiction House Jumbo Comics and Wings Comics the most. However, he did dabble with superhero titles, too, including D.C. Comics Batman, Detective Comics, Flash, Superman and Wonder Woman.

As he grew older, the comics became a collectible of his past as he moved on to pursue stamp collecting with his father, a hobby he practiced for the entirety of his life. While Henry was actively acquiring stamps, his comics remained safe in two metal boxes since 1947, until being consigned to Bruneau & Co. Auctioneers by his family earlier this year.

I believe the prices shown do not reflect the 25% fee.

Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 5.36.52 PM.png

Edited by batman_fan

On 10/1/2022 at 6:22 PM, Courageous Cat said:

no, but I don't regret it because many were cream/ow with condition issues that I didn't deem worthy of my PC. I took a hard pass

I thought the Detective 38, All Star 1, Batman 4, and Wonder Woman 1 presented pretty nice.  A lot of the Planets looked pretty nice too.

I thought a lot of them looked pretty nice too.  I am a bit surprised by the winning bids.  Quite a few of them seem lower than what I would have expected.  I have not been super tuned in to recent early GA Bats sales but I would have thought they would have been higher, especially the #2?  Maybe I am off base with that though.

On 10/1/2022 at 8:34 PM, ender said:

I thought a lot of them looked pretty nice too.  I am a bit surprised by the winning bids.  Quite a few of them seem lower than what I would have expected.  I have not been super tuned in to recent early GA Bats sales but I would have thought they would have been higher, especially the #2?  Maybe I am off base with that though.

I thought in general they ended on the low side but not crazy low.  I suspect some number of them will end up being resold over the next few months.

On 10/1/2022 at 7:34 PM, ender said:

I am a bit surprised by the winning bids.  Quite a few of them seem lower than what I would have expected.  

Add +20% to the hammer price for the buyer's premium (doesn't seem to be factored in the "sold price" which is based on bids).

Source: https://bidlive.bruneauandco.com/auctions/1-6FIX3H/the-henry-anderson-golden-age-comic-auction

Edited by Northwest