• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Secret wars #8
2 2

27 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2022 at 9:01 AM, comicjoe1234 said:

What should the backdrop be??

Something I used before I got a decent scanner was white foamboard.  My situation called for house lighting instead of natural light.  And I rotated the photos before I posted them. (thumbsu

99733D3A-B780-449B-9EDA-2554A7B3CD6A.jpeg

Edited by Galen130

On 10/14/2022 at 6:53 AM, Geoff2099 said:

9.2 all day, 9.4 on a good day

I just saw a 9.2 at my lcs and it was the roughest looking one I've ever seen. At least 6 color breaking spine ticks that detracted from the overall presentation. With that logic I should honestly expect a 9.6. There's bad quality control.

On 10/15/2022 at 2:44 PM, comicjoe1234 said:

I just saw a 9.2 at my lcs and it was the roughest looking one I've ever seen. At least 6 color breaking spine ticks that detracted from the overall presentation. With that logic I should honestly expect a 9.6. There's bad quality control.

There is no qc at cgc

Keep in mind when going only from pics deterering a 9.6 and up is far from accurate

Imho it has 9.4 potential

Edited by MAR1979

Well if it's just the ticks, and not creases, a 9.2 is not crazy (maybe should have been a 9.0). I wouldn't say there's no quality control at CGC, but there's definitely subjectivity in grading. But I also think we (collectors) are part of that problem. When we submit a grade, we want our 9.6 to be pushed into a 9.8. But when we buy a 9.8, we really want a 9.9 that was pushed down into a 9.8. We're flawed creatures.

On 10/17/2022 at 11:46 AM, MAR1979 said:

There is no qc at cgc

Keep in mind when going only from pics deterering a 9.6 and up is far from accurate

Imho it has 9.4 potential

I guess we'll see! All the comics I have posted here are currently in the grading stage at cgc rn. My first submission. So maybe I'll get lucky with mine

On 10/18/2022 at 11:31 AM, Geoff2099 said:

Well if it's just the ticks, and not creases, a 9.2 is not crazy (maybe should have been a 9.0). I wouldn't say there's no quality control at CGC, but there's definitely subjectivity in grading. But I also think we (collectors) are part of that problem. When we submit a grade, we want our 9.6 to be pushed into a 9.8. But when we buy a 9.8, we really want a 9.9 that was pushed down into a 9.8. We're flawed creatures.

By what I've seen from these forums and looking at cgc guidelines, there is no reason for it to be the grade I saw. The subjectivity at cgc seems to be whoever spends the money money on signature series gets a upgrade. I'm waiting for my first ever submission to come back and hopefully it will be fair and without issues with the casing. But I've seen slot of issues from others for cgc in the past few years so I'm nervous.

Yeah, I think we've all seen books graded and be like "da fuh?". But I will say that after spending a lot of time on this forum, and looking at this cheat sheet and watching a ton of videos, I'd say I've submitted about 50 books to cgc this year, and in most cases, I was either on point, or up one or down one, with the exception of an 8.0 that I thought was at least a 9.6. I suggest that if you haven't, you write down your grade estimates, and then see what happens. I had a book come back a 1.0 that i thought was a 3.0, but I missed a spine split so that was correct and I was wrong. 

v910busf8kc61.jpg 

On 10/18/2022 at 4:05 PM, Geoff2099 said:

Yeah, I think we've all seen books graded and be like "da fuh?". But I will say that after spending a lot of time on this forum, and looking at this cheat sheet and watching a ton of videos, I'd say I've submitted about 50 books to cgc this year, and in most cases, I was either on point, or up one or down one, with the exception of an 8.0 that I thought was at least a 9.6. I suggest that if you haven't, you write down your grade estimates, and then see what happens. I had a book come back a 1.0 that i thought was a 3.0, but I missed a spine split so that was correct and I was wrong. 

v910busf8kc61.jpg 

@etanick does have some really good grading tutorials on YouTube.

On 10/18/2022 at 5:55 PM, Geoff2099 said:

yes etanick does, hope he comes back some day - sorry didn't meant to imply it was my cheat sheet, just i use it :) 

I've added to it and modified the heck out of it but me too.