• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BTC SUPERMAN #75 SPECIAL EDITION RED FOIL VARIANT
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I stopped collecting comics in 1987 and did not return to the hobby until 2007 so I missed the infamous "90s crash".  I gather the death of Superman was one of the main drivers or impetus for the 90s crash.  Wouldn't it be ironic if the same comic served as the catalyst for the next (future) crash :smirk:

Edited by DWL
Typo

On 10/2/2022 at 12:12 PM, DWL said:

I stopped collecting comics in 1987 and did not return to the hobby until 2007 so I missed the infamous "90s crash".  I gather the death of Superman was one of the main drivers or impetus for the 90s crash.  Wouldn't it be ironic if the same comic served as the catalyst for the next (future) crash :smirk:

If this book isn’t the true 1st sign of the coming comic apocalypse....

On 10/2/2022 at 11:12 AM, DWL said:

It really wasn't. If anything, it was a symptom.

On 10/2/2022 at 1:58 PM, Lazyboy said:

It really wasn't. If anything, it was a symptom.

It was the book that brought the mainstream casuals into comic shops, and created the pedestrian comic investor.   I see it as the catalyst (shrug)

On 10/2/2022 at 1:06 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

It was the book that brought the mainstream casuals into comic shops, and created the pedestrian comic investor.   I see it as the catalyst (shrug)

No, it was the book that sold far and wide to more casual buyers, not leaving shops with a ton of unsold and unsellable stock. The infestation of idiotic outsider speculators happened earlier, as Stu noted, though it began even before Image and Valiant.

On 10/2/2022 at 11:23 AM, Lazyboy said:

No, it was the book that sold far and wide to more casual buyers, not leaving shops with a ton of unsold and unsellable stock. The infestation of idiotic outsider speculators happened earlier, as Stu noted, though it began even before Image and Valiant.

My bad.  Brain fart.  Too many bong rips and not enough coffee.  Somehow blanked on the timing of the Image expolsion.  Hell, I stopped in at a comic shop to see what my collection might be worth right at the beginning of Image(being out of comics for a while), and ended up getting sucked back in and buying pretty much the entire first wave( Spawn, Savage Dragon, Pitt, Youngblood, Shadowhawk, etc..) image books.  I still have all of them.   I never bought a single Valiant book.

I don't get it, for both this one and the gold foil one, why is a reprint of a 30 year old comic (one that is not even rare, I mean they printed a ton of those books) going for so much when you can get the original in 9.8 off ebay between $200 and $300.  Who is buying this stuff?

On 10/7/2022 at 8:06 AM, media_junkie said:

I don't get it, for both this one and the gold foil one, why is a reprint of a 30 year old comic (one that is not even rare, I mean they printed a ton of those books) going for so much when you can get the original in 9.8 off ebay between $200 and $300.  Who is buying this stuff?

It's not a reprint. 4 all new stories.

"Written by DAN JURGENS, ROGER STERN, LOUISE SIMONSON, and JERRY ORDWAY. Art by DAN JURGENS, BRETT BREEDING, BUTCH GUICE, JON BOGDANOVE, TOM GRUMMETT, and more! 30 years ago, the unthinkable happened. The Man of Steel died. After sacrificing himself to stop the unstoppable global threat, Doomsday, Metropolis and the rest of the DC Universe mourned the loss of their greatest hero. To mark this monumental moment in comics, DC has reunited the complete creative team behind the original event for four brand-new stories. Led by Dan Jurgens and Brett Breeding, the special kicks off with a new Superman story and villain…DOOMBREAKER! Followed by a series of short stories revisiting some of Superman’s greatest allies and exclusive pinups done by some of comics’ greatest artistic talent including LEE WEEKS, GABRIEL RODRIGUEZ, BILL SIENKIEWICZ, and WALTER SIMONSON. • “The Life of Superman” by Dan Jurgens (W & A), Brett Breeding (A), Brad Anderson (C), and John Workman (L) - A young Jon Kent finds out in school that his dad had died years earlier, as his parents never told him about that fateful day. In the midst of dealing with this emotional news, Jon and Clark need to team up to fight a new villain connected to Doomsday called DOOMBREAKER. • “Standing Guard” by Roger Stern (W), Butch Guice (A), Glenn Whitmore (C), and Rob Leigh (L) - The epic battle between Superman and Doomsday from the Guardians’ perspective. • “Time” by Louise Simonson (W), Jon Bogdanove (A), Glenn Whitmore (C), and Rob Leigh (L) - The story of how the death of Superman looked from John Henry Irons’s perspective. • “Above and Beyond” by Jerry Ordway (W), Tom Grummett (P), Doug Hazelwood (I), Glenn Whitmore (C), and Rob Leigh (L) - A powerful story of Ma and Pa Kent watching their son fight Doomsday live on television and going through Clark’s photo albums with the feeling that their son always prevails."

Edited by ak47po

On 10/7/2022 at 8:50 AM, ak47po said:

It's not a reprint. 4 all new stories.

"Written by DAN JURGENS, ROGER STERN, LOUISE SIMONSON, and JERRY ORDWAY. Art by DAN JURGENS, BRETT BREEDING, BUTCH GUICE, JON BOGDANOVE, TOM GRUMMETT, and more! 30 years ago, the unthinkable happened. The Man of Steel died. After sacrificing himself to stop the unstoppable global threat, Doomsday, Metropolis and the rest of the DC Universe mourned the loss of their greatest hero. To mark this monumental moment in comics, DC has reunited the complete creative team behind the original event for four brand-new stories. Led by Dan Jurgens and Brett Breeding, the special kicks off with a new Superman story and villain…DOOMBREAKER! Followed by a series of short stories revisiting some of Superman’s greatest allies and exclusive pinups done by some of comics’ greatest artistic talent including LEE WEEKS, GABRIEL RODRIGUEZ, BILL SIENKIEWICZ, and WALTER SIMONSON. • “The Life of Superman” by Dan Jurgens (W & A), Brett Breeding (A), Brad Anderson (C), and John Workman (L) - A young Jon Kent finds out in school that his dad had died years earlier, as his parents never told him about that fateful day. In the midst of dealing with this emotional news, Jon and Clark need to team up to fight a new villain connected to Doomsday called DOOMBREAKER. • “Standing Guard” by Roger Stern (W), Butch Guice (A), Glenn Whitmore (C), and Rob Leigh (L) - The epic battle between Superman and Doomsday from the Guardians’ perspective. • “Time” by Louise Simonson (W), Jon Bogdanove (A), Glenn Whitmore (C), and Rob Leigh (L) - The story of how the death of Superman looked from John Henry Irons’s perspective. • “Above and Beyond” by Jerry Ordway (W), Tom Grummett (P), Doug Hazelwood (I), Glenn Whitmore (C), and Rob Leigh (L) - A powerful story of Ma and Pa Kent watching their son fight Doomsday live on television and going through Clark’s photo albums with the feeling that their son always prevails."

Then I stand corrected.

Wouldn’t this be the absolute best time for DC to actually kill Superman?  No hype.  No build up. No preview.  Just introduce another ridiculously strong villain on the splash page and have him beat him to death in a single issue. 

If DC wants to be dark....

Be Dark

Then you can reboot the entire franchise under the single title of ‘Superman stories once untold’ and readers can reminisce about their great fallen hero forever.

This of course brings on the true dark era of DC comics in a world without Superman.

And in much the same way as the zombies aren’t really the true threat in the Walking Dead, it’s not the villains that get out of hand.  Under pressure from a non-stop  villain rampage & in the absence of the all seeing moral compass of Supes....lines become quickly blurred & the villains become hunted and slaughtered for “the good of mankind”....

:idea:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER