• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor City Comic Con

19 posts in this topic

Show is a shadow of it's past self in regards to comic dealers. And having two shows this year depleted it even more. I'm going to go still... but I'm questioning how much longer. Used to be a 2nd tier show with some great dealers like Bob Storms, Dale Roberts... 

If you go please check out Harley’s booth. He had an AMAZING collection on consignment.  First show.  I bought 3 PCH books at a good price but there were some great GA books in there.  I’ll post some pics. 

Unfortunately the same d bag that stole in Chicago was here again and stole from at least 4 dealers. I think most if not all of the books have been recovered. Security got him and the police arrested him. He pulled up his hood and flipped me the bird while I tried to take his picture. I went off on him after that and regret nothing I said to him. Hate thieves and put a damper on a fun day. 

On 10/16/2022 at 12:13 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Can’t stand thieving scum!  Cops should have handcuffed him to a urinal and let people relive themselves on him!

Face pics can be found on page 3 here:

Still, it's whole lot of time and effort to prove a felony on shoplifting collectibles especially when they are raw. Most DA's are so swamped it will be plead to a low misdemeanor - at most, especially given the way the guy looks then again he'll be at it. So distribute the pics to dealers at every shown/con in the region.

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/16/2022 at 1:06 PM, MAR1979 said:

Face pics can be found on page 3 here:

Still, it's whole lot of time and effort to prove a felony on shoplifting collectibles especially when they are raw. Most DA's are so swamped it will be plead to a low misdemeanor - at most, especially given the way the guy looks then again he'll be at it. So distribute the pics to dealers at every shown/con in the region.

I do recognize him from a bunch of Cons in our area.  I don't think I've ever talked to him - glad to see he got caught and people know his face now.

On 10/13/2022 at 8:59 AM, Shadow said:

Show is a shadow of it's past self in regards to comic dealers. And having two shows this year depleted it even more. I'm going to go still... but I'm questioning how much longer. Used to be a 2nd tier show with some great dealers like Bob Storms, Dale Roberts... 

The October show definitely used to be a worthwhile show to drive 3.5 hrs from Toronto.  Was a fun road trip with some buddies, and we'd spring for a hotel room overnight because we couldn't get through all of the comic boxes in a day.  And even though this was the smaller, Oct show, I still remember they had a decent guest list (Don Rosa, Erik Larsen, Vince Locke, etc) so there was sketches and OA to be had.

Usually drove back with a few sketches, a few pages of OA and 2-3 long boxes of comics each.

But as you've stated, the show is a mere shadow of its past glory.  And unfortunately, their Spring show has dropped so much so fast that I actually felt sorry for dealers who decided to set up.  I don't know anybody (collectors, dealers, etc) who went to that show, whereas the contingent from Toronto used to number 40-50 people per year.

On 10/15/2022 at 8:32 PM, SkOw said:

If you go please check out Harley’s booth. He had an AMAZING collection on consignment.  First show.  I bought 3 PCH books at a good price but there were some great GA books in there.  I’ll post some pics. 

Unfortunately the same d bag that stole in Chicago was here again and stole from at least 4 dealers. I think most if not all of the books have been recovered. Security got him and the police arrested him. He pulled up his hood and flipped me the bird while I tried to take his picture. I went off on him after that and regret nothing I said to him. Hate thieves and put a damper on a fun day. 

Which ones did you buy?