• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

House of Mystery 32 .... and the Comics Code? DC Censoring it's own Art???
1 1

17 posts in this topic

On 10/4/2022 at 4:19 PM, zzutak said:

I've never seen even a single panel in any pre-code DC that was "horrific".  DC simply did not do horror.  What you're showing here is referred to as "hype" -- identical to what Toby did on the cover of Tales of Horror #1 in 1952.  Neither you nor your friend should make it into something it's not. (tsk)

TOH-1.thumb.jpg.1a151ef48c639bba0415206ab78a5355.jpg

I get the gimmick/hype thing for a cover or maybe one panel (like a "reveal" at the end of a story where bandages are taken off a face), but there are 17 panels in this story with the gimmick.  

Maybe, because of how close this comic was to when the Code started, it was a jab at Wertham and how stupid the code was.

I agree with what’s been said, regardless that’s a pretty cool idea for handling the horror element in the story. Here is an occurrence  of self censorship that I came across years ago. I notified Bob Overstreet and it has been included in the guide description (as far as I was told). I haven’t bought a guide since forever!

Black Cat Mystery 51

On 10/4/2022 at 9:11 PM, zzutak said:

As I said in my previous post, DC did not do graphic horror.  Their four pre-code fantasy/mystery titles contained tales of the supernatural and the occult.  Ghost stories, if you will.

• House of Mystery #1-35 (Dec 1951 - Feb 1955)
  • Phantom Stranger #1-6 (Aug/Sep 1952 - Jun/Jul 1953)
  • Sensation Comics / Sensation Mystery #107-116 (Jan 1952 - Jul/Aug 1953)
  • Star Spangled Comics #122-130 (Nov 1951 - Jul 1952)

Look through all 60 issues.  Awesome, well-written and well-drawn stories that I've always enjoyed.  (thumbsu  (thumbsu  However, you will not find one story that comes close to the type of graphic horror that was commonplace in the contemporaneous offerings of EC, Atlas, Farrell, Master Comics, Story Comics, and others.

In science and in life, Occam's razor (the simplest explanation with the fewest assumptions) is generally to be favored.  Julius Schwartz was an absolute genius when it came to selling comics, even without resorting to graphic horror.  But he was definitely not averse to using "gimmicks" to increase those sales.  lol  Over and out for now!  :foryou:  :hi:

Very interesting , thanks👍

On 10/5/2022 at 8:46 AM, Jayman said:

I agree with what’s been said, regardless that’s a pretty cool idea for handling the horror element in the story. Here is an occurrence  of self censorship that I came across years ago. I notified Bob Overstreet and it has been included in the guide description (as far as I was told). I haven’t bought a guide since forever!

Black Cat Mystery 51

That's awesome, thanks for posting.  I may need to keep an eye out for that comic.  Great cover.

On 10/4/2022 at 4:45 PM, grendelbo said:

hm

cf3273893c1b0679e6210cad12fd11c9.jpg.3eac699f13ffcd8adf406cb1d392e649.jpg

Is that the original with the Steranko face or after Marie redrew it? That's after she re-did the face right? I figured there is no 100% Jim version because Marie altered it. Or maybe there are 2? Is there original art for that book that is 100% Steranko? 

Edited by Professor K

On 10/6/2022 at 1:35 PM, pemart1966 said:

Thanks to the imagination, what you don't see is sometimes more frightening than what you do see.  

:headbang:

2vOQ.gif.e8df3776c8692f2e67d8288f6abcc967.gif

Vs

b3288da0c7bce13989cd43ded35bc11c.gif.ccd3d3b0988ef0d945dbe51fab27ddda.gif