• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man 1 : Poly-Bagged Purple Webs Edition
3 3

8 posts in this topic

Yes, looks like the polybagged edition where the bag has been removed.  Usually it says that specifically on the label, not sure why it doesn't on this one.  In my limited experience, the webs have that purplish hue on the polybagged editions.  Those sold without polybags seem to be more like silver.

You can find more info on the different versions at mycomicshop: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=93961

Four of the selections have this: NOTE: Webbing on cover may be grey or purple

I'm not sure if that is helpful or not.

On the black and silver edition, the bagged and unbagged covers look different. But for this edition, the cover looks the same, so CGC only notes on the slab that it is the polybagged version if they removed the book from the polybag themselves, and can therefore verify it was the polybagged version. (This is my understanding, anyway; I had been looking into the various versions a while back.)

Regarding grey or purple webs, the color of the webs is created from cyan, magenta, and yellow ink. If the yellow is running a little light, or the cyan or magenta is running a little strong, then it could appear purple rather than grey. On a large print run, it is difficult to maintain perfect consistency in color, especially on a color like a light gray that is created from percentages of three different inks, so variations in color is common. This is one of the reasons that the Hulk was grey in his first appearance, but changed to green in issue 2; green is easier to keep consistent.

My understanding has always been that the poly bagged version has the purple webs as well as the little bit of missing blue ink from the kneecap on the left. On the regular copies, that is filled in completely blue, but on the polybagged version there's a small piece that has been colored green like the background. Those are the two tells. CGC is particularly bad at correctly labeling this book.

There's also a bagged newsstand version, but obviously that's easy to tell, as it has a horking big UPC code on the cover.

As Geeks said, the Silver is easy to tell as the polybagged version has no price in the price-box, but the standard edition has the $1.75 in the box.

00011722398000084021651002.jpg

On 10/5/2022 at 11:37 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

On the black and silver edition, the bagged and unbagged covers look different. But for this edition, the cover looks the same, so CGC only notes on the slab that it is the polybagged version if they removed the book from the polybag themselves, and can therefore verify it was the polybagged version. (This is my understanding, anyway; I had been looking into the various versions a while back.)

I submitted this book as well as a few Silver and one Poly-Bagged Silver. I removed the poly-bag myself on the regular and the silver. CGC labeled the Silver as a variant (Poly-Bagged Silver Edition) with the following comments : "Poly-bag removed".

I will write to the customer service about it.

Thanks to all for your answer.

Edited by Pangolin

So, I did a little test with this as well...not in any attempt to game the system or anything (values are only about $10 different for a CGC 9.8 between the two on CovrPrice) ... but because I screwed up one sub, and was hoping to fix it on another... and these are for my NFS-PC, so I am not worried about the notation differences...

I submitted some that I knew were not polybagged ever (and I clearly sent them in w/o bags), but I selected that "Poly-Bagged Edition"  option in the CGC pull-down by accident, and sure enough, CGC trusted my data entry and added the note "Poly-bag Removed". But I knew 100% they were not.

image.png.5fcadeeec19547d0103218c26b68bafa.png

Then, on another sub, I tried one that I knew was polybagged since I removed it myself, and did not select the "Poly-Bagged Edition" from the pull-down, and sure enough no label comment about "Poly-bag Removed".

My suspicion is that it's not easily and readily apparent as some may think unless you have two to compare side-by-side, and with some colors fading or not and under different lighting conditions, it is not always easy to tell purplish vs gray. So, they must put some weight into how the customer submitted it ... and in my case, they did what I entered it as 100% of the time (it was only 4 comics total, not an exhaustive test by far ... YMMV.)

As far as trying to be as honest as possible if you are selling one, just make the disclaimers on your listing that you think it might have been a polybag and not annotated by CGC. And, kudos to you for doing the right thing!!!

I know I would not be bothered by that labeling difference, but I can't speak for other collectors.

On 10/7/2022 at 5:42 PM, circuitryusa said:

So, I did a little test with this as well...not in any attempt to game the system or anything (values are only about $10 different for a CGC 9.8 between the two on CovrPrice) ... but because I screwed up one sub, and was hoping to fix it on another... and these are for my NFS-PC, so I am not worried about the notation differences...

I submitted some that I knew were not polybagged ever (and I clearly sent them in w/o bags), but I selected that "Poly-Bagged Edition"  option in the CGC pull-down by accident, and sure enough, CGC trusted my data entry and added the note "Poly-bag Removed". But I knew 100% they were not.

image.png.5fcadeeec19547d0103218c26b68bafa.png

Then, on another sub, I tried one that I knew was polybagged since I removed it myself, and did not select the "Poly-Bagged Edition" from the pull-down, and sure enough no label comment about "Poly-bag Removed".

My suspicion is that it's not easily and readily apparent as some may think unless you have two to compare side-by-side, and with some colors fading or not and under different lighting conditions, it is not always easy to tell purplish vs gray. So, they must put some weight into how the customer submitted it ... and in my case, they did what I entered it as 100% of the time (it was only 4 comics total, not an exhaustive test by far ... YMMV.)

As far as trying to be as honest as possible if you are selling one, just make the disclaimers on your listing that you think it might have been a polybag and not annotated by CGC. And, kudos to you for doing the right thing!!!

I know I would not be bothered by that labeling difference, but I can't speak for other collectors.

https://cosmicround.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=284&p=8102#p8102