• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Web of Spider-Man 118 newsstand

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if the newsstand copies of this book ALL had a Marvel subscription insert?

I subbed some and was surprised to see all four come back green label, with ‘subscription insert missing’ on the notation.  To my recall, I bought these myself off the newsstand, selecting for condition, and bagged them and filed them.  I would never remove an insert, and I can’t see an insert being taken out systematically prior to getting to the spinner rack. ???

On 10/5/2022 at 2:39 PM, 500Club said:

Does anyone know if the newsstand copies of this book ALL had a Marvel subscription insert?

I subbed some and was surprised to see all four come back green label, with ‘subscription insert missing’ on the notation.  To my recall, I bought these myself off the newsstand, selecting for condition, and bagged them and filed them.  I would never remove an insert, and I can’t see an insert being taken out systematically prior to getting to the spinner rack. ???

1st I'm hearing of it, the few though on eBay are noted as having them though. Not sure if it is a "new" label notation, as I don't remember ever noticing it before, I guess now that cgc notated newsstands? That it is more notations all around.....

On 10/5/2022 at 2:39 PM, 500Club said:

Mine does, but it's virtually guaranteed that not all copies did, even if they were meant to (and I'm not sure about that). It also has the personalized X-Men comic centerfold insert. Why doesn't CGC note that if inserts are so important? :facepalm:

On a related note, it makes a lot more sense for Newsstands to have subscription inserts than Directs, though it barely makes sense for any copy to have them given that subscriptions have just never been a big thing for comics.

On 10/6/2022 at 8:42 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 10/5/2022 at 1:39 PM, 500Club said:

Mine does, but it's virtually guaranteed that not all copies did, even if they were meant to (and I'm not sure about that). It also has the personalized X-Men comic centerfold insert. Why doesn't CGC note that if inserts are so important? :facepalm:

(thumbsu

Wondering if they were inserted only in a smattering of the copies, like MJ inserts, or in all.  I’m going to need to do some research.

Any newsstand collectors out there who can check their copies, and other Marvel books from the same month?

Here’s an ironic conversation that happened in the Marvel offices in the mid ‘90s:

Person #1: “We need to boost sales! Let’s advertise subscriptions in all of our comics.”

Person #2: “When we advertised subscriptions in the ‘70s and ‘80s we encouraged people to cut coupons out of the comic’s pages and mail them in, now collectors complain that they’re buying back issues and discovering that there are missing or damaged pages.”

Person #1: “OK, so we’ll put in a separate insert card just for the subscriptions! Nobody will ever care if those are missing.”

On 10/6/2022 at 9:42 PM, Lazyboy said:

... though it barely makes sense for any copy to have them given that subscriptions have just never been a big thing for comics.

True, but companies have always loved the idea of getting twelve times the money first and providing the products/services later. (: