• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a market for original comic scripts?

5 posts in this topic

From what I can tell, original comic scripts are kinda like original movie screenplays - not a lot of people interested in them except maybe academics studying comic history or aspiring comic book writers (and they can find samples online for free https://www.comicsexperience.com/scripts/).

So scripts don't seem to be easy to buy/sell/trade as collectibles. I took a quick peek on eBay and only saw four for sale. I have three in my collection - two scripts I bought from writers at their table at a comic convention, the other one a Marvel-method synopsis I bought thinking it was an original but turned out to just be a cheap third-hand photocopy. Which is kinda why I quit seeking them out. 

The publishers own the rights to the original scripts, so they could publish them if they thought there was a demand... but there's probably no demand. Years ago Marvel published a "Ultimate Spider-Man -script Book" with several Bendis scripts, though that book's long out of print now. 

On 10/7/2022 at 4:16 AM, eee91 said:

From what I can tell, original comic scripts are kinda like original movie screenplays - not a lot of people interested in them except maybe academics studying comic history or aspiring comic book writers (and they can find samples online for free https://www.comicsexperience.com/scripts/).

So scripts don't seem to be easy to buy/sell/trade as collectibles. I took a quick peek on eBay and only saw four for sale. I have three in my collection - two scripts I bought from writers at their table at a comic convention, the other one a Marvel-method synopsis I bought thinking it was an original but turned out to just be a cheap third-hand photocopy. Which is kinda why I quit seeking them out. 

The publishers own the rights to the original scripts, so they could publish them if they thought there was a demand... but there's probably no demand. Years ago Marvel published a "Ultimate Spider-Man --script Book" with several Bendis scripts, though that book's long out of print now. 

Thank you!

Occasionally they're also published as extras in collected editions (usually a spanky hardcover) or as a 'Director's Cut' special edition or the like in single issues, as Marvel did at one stage (I think that's what they did with Avengers 500, but don't quote me on that, it's been a long time). If you just want to read them, that's another say of tracking some down. 

I'd imagine it would depend on the title, and how rabid the fandom is. I'd think an original Moore or Gaiman -script would sell well, if you're talking about selling an original, one of a kind artifact from the comic production process. The issue would be authenticating that it's an original, and not a photocopy or reprint. And I'm not sure how you'd prove that, unless it came directly from the author themselves, or one of the artists.

James Roberts, most well known for writing IDW Transformers comics, recently self-published a batch of his -script notes and "bible" for his Transformers run. They sold out pretty quickly, at least faster than I could get one, and that was for a reprint of a loose assembly of hand-written notes. I'd think a true, one of a kind -script from a big name would have some value for sure.