• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

grading

8 posts in this topic

More books to grade than they can handle, staff shortages, spreading themselves to thin by adding grading services for other items like cards and video games, etc. The same thing that is going on with almost every business since 2020.

https://www.facebook.com/CGCcomics/posts/cgc-expansion-cuts-turnaround-timescgc-reports-that-it-has-drastically-reduced-t/1038313056212699/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPIuAdBgVnc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5eSlnNzypg

Edited by marvelmaniac

Why does anything take any amount of time to do anything?

Why not 10 months? or 18 months? or 7 years?  Would you be happier if it came back the next day? Same day?

Why can't I just snap my fingers and someone will hand me a slice of pizza?  Why do birds fall down from the sky?

But I guess the answer is supply and demand.

On 10/9/2022 at 2:23 PM, charleyp said:

Why does it take over 11 months to grade 6 comic books circa 1962-63.?  Still waiting for comics to be returned to me.

Signing events. Every time you get an email for new one, add an additional 10 business days to all economy orders sitting in queue.

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/9/2022 at 2:23 PM, charleyp said:

Why does it take over 11 months to grade 6 comic books circa 1962-63.?  Still waiting for comics to be returned to me.

In 2020 and 2021, everyone started to send in comics because comics experienced a boom. People who never sent in started to, as did new collectors. At the time, CGC has 20? graders. Maybe? Well when their workload got upped 20x or more, they fell behind. And rather than pause submissions, they just took and took and made people wait. In the time that went by, they hired a few more graders but not enough. And anything that was part of their special events like CGC signing events took priority, as did people who paid for fast track. So here we are, myself included, waiting still. Seems par for the course with other grading companies, which is no excuse...I think focusing on getting these submissions to a 6 month or less turn around should be priority number one for the company but at the same time, I don't want them to hire 30 new people who don't grade well....which seems to have happened with modern books (although they seem to be getting a bit better.....maybe....)

If you get them back in less than a year you should be celebrating instead of complaining. As long as people are willing to send them money they will keep on taking it. It's not easy to find graders at what they are willing to pay. I would look into training new graders. Only have so much space though so would you want to expand your business right now? Comics weren't effected in 2008 so maybe they should. But why? People are willing to wait 2 years so no need to do anything.