• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Werewolf By Night / EC Comics / Ray Bradbury / Curt Siodmak Connection

7 posts in this topic

As an EC science-fiction fan, always really liked their adaptations of Bradbury’s Martian Chronicles stories.

The only horror comic story I recall is the one with the Ferris Wheel.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/10/2022 at 4:22 AM, shadroch said:

Silver bullets were around long before The 1941 movie. He might have introduced the lore into Hollywood, but Europeans have used silver bullets to ward off evil for centuries.

I said Siodmak introduced the concept of silver to kill a werewolf. Before Siodmak, werewolves have always been vulnerable to any ordinary weapon. A lead bullet. A steel knife. Etc. No silver needed. With Siodmak silver was required, and not just a bullet but any silver weapon. As the old woman Maleva said in the movie "A werewolf can only be killed by a silver bullet, or a silver knife or a stick with a silver handle." This  simply did not exist before Siodmak's screenplay. The Wolf Man in the 1941 film was killed by being beaten with the now legendary walking stick with a silver wolf head handle. 

On 10/10/2022 at 10:07 AM, PovertyRow said:

I said Siodmak introduced the concept of silver to kill a werewolf. Before Siodmak, werewolves have always been vulnerable to any ordinary weapon. A lead bullet. A steel knife. Etc. No silver needed. With Siodmak silver was required, and not just a bullet but any silver weapon. As the old woman Maleva said in the movie "A werewolf can only be killed by a silver bullet, or a silver knife or a stick with a silver handle." This  simply did not exist before Siodmak's screenplay. The Wolf Man in the 1941 film was killed by being beaten with the now legendary walking stick with a silver wolf head handle. 

I don't think that is correct. It may have been the first time in Hollywood, or even in America but the legend preceeds it.  Many legendary tales tell of melting down silver to fight the supernatural.  One of the Eastern tyrants that was loosely used in Dracula was executed by silver bullets.

Again, let me make this clear. I am not debating the use of silver over the centuries to ward off evil.  Siodmak did extensive research into folklore before writing The Wolf Man. I'm sure he came across references to silver vs evil. BUT until The Wolf Man, the werewolf had no particular vulnerability and could be killed by the same means as killing a person. Could a silver bullet kill a werewolf? Sure. So could a lead bullet. A steel knife. A wood baseball bat. Siodmak introduced the lore that only silver can kill a werewolf. As I cited above, Maleva the old woman said to Larry  "A werewolf can only be killed by a silver bullet, or a silver knife or a stick with a silver handle." That level of specificity simple did not exist before then and its influence can be felt in almost every werewolf film since then. 

Edited by PovertyRow
calrity ... errr ... clarity (yeesh)

On 10/10/2022 at 12:31 PM, shadroch said:

I don't think that is correct. It may have been the first time in Hollywood, or even in America but the legend preceeds it.  Many legendary tales tell of melting down silver to fight the supernatural.  One of the Eastern tyrants that was loosely used in Dracula was executed by silver bullets.

Silver Bullets to kill werewolves didn't exist until The Wolfman Movie.