• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mattbird's 2 year Action Comics parade

65 posts in this topic

So, after turning down a nice WW2 Action book at Metro today, they pulled this from the back rooom for me

14.jpg

Being one of the 'harder' ones to find in the run I'm working on, sold at guide, and needing to be home in Jersey in a half hour to save my wife from my mother, I hastily bought it and ran home! Upon further inspection, it appears that the book had been disassembled at some point to apply tape to the inside FC by the staples and the centerfold. See this link for detail shots:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...e=0#Post1045149

now, do I keep the book? or return it? I have 7 days to return, and there are a couple of other nice books I have my eye on this week, including 2 CGC'd copies of #19...

any advice would be welcome here.

my concern is that the the staples may have been replaced in the process- hence making the book already restored. Tape doesn't bother me.

I had a recent book I sent to CGC come back with the Qualified label with the only note "staples replaced". So, if that is the only thing done to your book, it should get the qualified label. If you do want to keep it, I would talk to Metro to see if the price can be reduced. Did they at least mention the tape?

they didn't mention the tape, but I did see that before buying it. It's barely noticable, and very carefully done. I just didn't put 2 and 2 together when I was in the store about the book being disassembled...

Is there a way to tell if the staples are original? They do look vintage. Metro says I can also have it CGCd, and they will take it back if it comes back restored. I'd be out just the grading fee in that case.

they didn't mention the tape, but I did see that before buying it. It's barely noticable, and very carefully done. I just didn't put 2 and 2 together when I was in the store about the book being disassembled...

Is there a way to tell if the staples are original? They do look vintage. Metro says I can also have it CGCd, and they will take it back if it comes back restored. I'd be out just the grading fee in that case.

To be honest, I personally am not sure how to tell if staples are original with any certainty. The book I sent to CGC that came back with staples replaced I was unaware of when I sent it in.

If you are unsure, it sounds like a reasonable offer from Metro. Will they also take it back if it comes back Qualified?

Thanks! Metro called it a 4.0, I'd say it's more of a 3-3.5 due to a spine split (sealed by tape- 99% unnoticeable) and a book-length vertical crease on the back cover and last 12 pages of the book. Doesn't break any color, thankfully. I find grading so subjective...

As to the 'back room' unadvertised books, they seemingly have alot. Ed told me just to call up and ask for specific books next time.

well, it all comes down to your individual collecting goals, your not collecting slabbed copies are you ? your mostly collecting, G/VG books with nice eye appeal (which this #14 definitely has), and don't intend on getting them slabbed,

but keep in mind that if you ever do want to slab it, that CGC will definitely give it the qualified label, that is until they do away with the qualified label, then it would probably get the "conserved" label..

however, I would see if Metro would come down on the price.

it's a great looking book, and it is one of the scarcer issues. so it's a personal call,

what would I do ?? I'd send it back, keep my money for when an unrestored copy of another book on my want list pops up, cuz you never know what books are up for sale day to day..

also, what's with this "back room" at Metro.. do they have books they've forgotten about ??... a book like an early Action should be listed on their website so that buyers can see all the books available, I know they probably have so many books they get in that they don't list everything right away. but it would be nice to see what they actually "have" in stock...

Thanks, Dude- I don't care about them being slabbed, but I do care about resale value, as it's not chump change... for ME anyway!

the deal with the 'backroom books' (not the best name for it, as all books are kept in the backroom) as Ed explained it to me, was that there are so many books that they cannot continually update the price on them all. The only books up on the site are the ones they've had time to update. So I basically asked him what they had from #10-63 in 6.0 and lower. There were maybe 10 or 15 books that were not on the site. No WW2 books smile.gif as I checked those first.

If you're ever in NYC, it's definitely worth a trip over there, if only to check out the sickeningly huge OA and vintage poster collection on what must be 20 foot high walls...

Just kidding, I know it's everyman for himself on the WWII Actions, the #55 on comiclink, I think is priced just right, it's got several pieces of tape with detached centerfold, but it does have nice eye appeal..

Did you clarify with them whether it would be a refund or credit? I believe that for refunds you have time constraints with Metro. To get it CGC'd, you'd probably have to use their walk-through service.

they said 'return', but I'd clarify. The thing bugging me is that I'd hate to have my money tied up in a book for 2 months, only to have to return it, while there are other nice books going by. Is #14 truly that hard to find that I should chance it? How often have you guys seen this book pop up?

they said 'return', but I'd clarify. The thing bugging me is that I'd hate to have my money tied up in a book for 2 months, only to have to return it, while there are other nice books going by.

Does anybody know if Metro still sends their books out on an approval basis? I know that Steve used to have no problems doing this back before the days of Vinnie. Not sure if this is being done anymore or even if it's required given that we now have the availability of postable scans over the internet. confused-smiley-013.gif

yeah, they still do, AFAIK. 7 day return policy.

Final decision on my part is: I'm returning the book. Not worth the hassle. This will be 3 books in a row I've had to deal with resto concerns... I'll be looking at primarily CGC books in the future to avoid any more.