• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MODERN/ IMPRESSIONIST RESULTS,...November 1 - CHRISTIES

120 posts in this topic

The fact that those AF #15 merits it versus say Detective #1, Detective

#27, Action #1, Marvel #1 etc.

I don't believe there is an SA cover that would merit it. I am not even sure that the GA's I mentioned would merit it to be honest. But they would be much closer to getting 500K then AF #15.

YOU ARE WRONG

OA along with all other forms of art are deeply linked to the social/cultural environment and context that surrounds them. They are a very interesting way to understand and study them as a form of sociological/antropological and artistic artefacts...too bad they are mainly reduced to $$$.

by doing it, they lose their real value: the cultural value, that belongs to everyone (interested in it)!!!

regards

The fact that those AF #15 merits it versus say Detective #1, Detective

#27, Action #1, Marvel #1 etc.

I don't believe there is an SA cover that would merit it. I am not even sure that the GA's I mentioned would merit it to be honest. But they would be much closer to getting 500K then AF #15.

YOU ARE WRONG

OA along with all other forms of art are deeply linked to the social/cultural environment and context that surrounds them. They are a very interesting way to understand and study them as a form of sociological/antropological and artistic artefacts...too bad they are mainly reduced to $$$.

by doing it, they lose their real value: the cultural value, that belongs to everyone (interested in it)!!!

regards

GREAT POST !!!!!!!!!!!!,....OA sits at a very unique place. I dont think the market has caught on. Why did mankind create a 'Spider-man' ?

That said,...CAPITALISM IS TOTALITARIAN IN NATURE. CAPITALISM TOTALIZES ASSETS AND AESTHETICS. I LOVE CAPITALISM AND I LOVE ART. No harm. No foul.

KK

Okay, I have an idea. Post a poll, with those issues plus one that says none of the above and let the board decide.

Firstly, the Batman 11 just went for 200K so by correlative logic, how you can say Detective #1, Action #1, Detective #27 or Marvel #1 might not fetch 500K shows you extrapolations are incorrect. Try,...$5 Million

Secondly, your belief that Silver Age art doesnt merit 500K is similarly wrong. But, heck,....your entitled to your opinion. That said, I find it comical when 'the masses' become experts.

KK

KK

It's clear you embrace the capitalism form linked to the OA, but why not present your knwoledge about the artistic/cultural and social value that surrounds this form of art/medium?!

I don't have any kind of problem with the fact that this or that OA values 1$ or 1million, what i regrett is the reduction of it to a mere number/value, and everything else that surrounds it/build it (social tissue) isn't brought up/presented.

this is more of an open invitation to you and everyone to share their (true) knowledge about this medium (which it's richness can't be measured by $$$, imho).

it can also be a way to help the industry to prevail and gain some true value near the (american) society which still seems to have some resistances on facing it's modern (artistic) legacy...

regards

Never said I was expert. Don't pretend to be. I just don't believe that using exponential gauging of a market to accurate in this case. Yes, those Top 10 covers have cachet but that may not be enough to roll it up past 500K. The original argument was that AF #15 could bring over 500K. I believe not. And why would SA art merit over 500K? My thought is that most SA covers are not ingrained into the public psyche. No cachet at all. So, most would go for a much lower price. I could actually see Schomburg airbrush covers are going for over that but probably won't as well.

Also, I have a question. If you own the original cover art does that mean you have marketing rights to that art? IE you could liscense it for Ads, T-Shirts etc.

KK

It's clear you embrace the capitalism form linked to the OA, but why not present your knwoledge about the artistic/cultural and social value that surrounds this form of art/medium?!

I don't have any kind of problem with the fact that this or that OA values 1$ or 1million, what i regrett is the reduction of it to a mere number/value, and everything else that surrounds it/build it (social tissue) isn't brought up/presented.

this is more of an open invitation to you and everyone to share their (true) knowledge about this medium (which it's richness can't be measured by $$$, imho).

it can also be a way to help the industry to prevail and gain some true value near the (american) society which still seems to have some resistances on facing it's modern (artistic) legacy...

regards

The reason why I personally dont discuss the art as art is beause comic art is so important it really would require a comprehensive aesthetic critique of scholarly note. I am unqualified for such an endeavor. I personally believe the discourses of psycho-analtics, Psycho-history, and psycho-semiotics are also appropriate for analyzing the depth of mass cultural significance that OA embodies but Id settle for a pure aesthetic critque of the art form.

KK

But surely you are capable of providing info regarding market conditions and evaluation of the aesthetics of a piece? In that regard, it would greatly help other forum members make their purchases, in a more informed manner.

Never said I was expert. Don't pretend to be. I just don't believe that using exponential gauging of a market to accurate in this case. Yes, those Top 10 covers have cachet but that may not be enough to roll it up past 500K. The original argument was that AF #15 could bring over 500K. I believe not. And why would SA art merit over 500K? My thought is that most SA covers are not ingrained into the public psyche. No cachet at all. So, most would go for a much lower price. I could actually see Schomburg airbrush covers are going for over that but probably won't as well.

Also, I have a question. If you own the original cover art does that mean you have marketing rights to that art? IE you could liscense it for Ads, T-Shirts etc.

I didnt exponentially extrapolate in my examples. I used logic. If a Batman #11 goes for 200K than Detective #27 OA is obviously worth considerably more. Moreover, Silver Age Cover art is arguably worth more than the majority of Golden Age Cover art becaUse of the successful licensing of the plethora of characters of Marvel. Like I always say,..the proof is in the pudding,...when OA starts jumping in $$$$ to levels of Millions than you will say,..'Gee, KK was right".

KK

But surely you are capable of providing info regarding market conditions and evaluation of the aesthetics of a piece? In that regard, it would greatly help other forum members make their purchases, in a more informed manner.

Absolutly I am capable and my door is 'always open' to those who seek my advice.

KK

I am not disagreeing with the fact that OA will have significant gains. That OA is currently undervalued. The argument you made for SA art is compelling. And logical. So, what is the highest price paid for a cover SA art?

I am not disagreeing with the fact that OA will have significant gains. That OA is currently undervalued. The argument you made for SA art is compelling. And logical. So, what is the highest price paid for a cover SA art?

One must understand that not very much good material has been offered. That said, I am aware of several covers that have sold in the 150K range. For example, the X-Men # 1 Giant Sized I believe went for a comparable amount....and that's 'Cockrum' for Pete's sake. AND Small art.

KK

So, in the current market, are you saying that the only SA cover, that you think will bring 500K or above is the AF #15?

NO. THAT IS NOT WHAT I AM SAYING.

If the AF #15 Kirby or Ditko version comes to market,...it will not go for less than $1 Million and could go as high as $5 Million.

KK

Okay, then what others would bring over 500K?

You cant do it like that because there are too many variables. It is a matter of 'sequencing'. WHEN a piece comes to market is more relevant than anything. Certain pieces have the intrinsic potential to get over 500K with relative ease. I listed the ASM's that I believe have this potential in an earlier post.

KK

And why would SA art merit over 500K? My thought is that most SA covers are not ingrained into the public psyche. No cachet at all. So, most would go for a much lower price.

The first appearance of Spider-Man? You think that would be a tough sell? No cachet for the art from the first appearance of Spider-Man? Here's the headline for CNN (because it WOULD get national coverage) "Artwork from the first Appearance of Spider-Man to be Auctioned Off" Instant cachet.

Even beyond that, while it's likely not as burnt into the public psyche as Tec 27 or Action 1, I'd think it would likely be the next in line (with the potential exception of the endlessly copied Fantastic Four #1.)

Also as much as I love the Detective 1 cover, the Amazing Fantasy 15 cover would outsell that by multiples.

"beause comic art is so important it really would require a comprehensive aesthetic critique of scholarly note."

Newsflash: The world doesn't give a s_h_i_t. Comic heros are disposable entertainment... $8 at the multiplex and a couple toys at Xmas. It doesn't mean s_h_i_t to scholars or the art world in general. The only people who buy OA are comic book fans, and that fan base is decreasing.

"beause comic art is so important it really would require a comprehensive aesthetic critique of scholarly note."

Newsflash: The world doesn't give a s_h_i_t. Comic heros are disposable entertainment... $8 at the multiplex and a couple toys at Xmas. It doesn't mean s_h_i_t to scholars or the art world in general. The only people who buy OA are comic book fans, and that fan base is decreasing.

We already had this debate,...'Is OA fine art or not ?',...I won.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...true#Post695522

Moreover, the fan base of comics is irrelevant to OA as it is independent as a categorical asset.

Lastly, in the 21st Century one well-wriiten article or news story has replaced academia because at root who cares about 'the ivory tower' (I leave that for Delicatssen).