• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four #49 Does it makes sense to have conservation done?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I have a Fantastic Four CGC .5 that the spine of the cover is completely split & the cover is detached. I apologize for no photos, but I am not with the comic at the moment. I was told at a recent comic show that I should probably have conservation done to connect the cover and have it reattached to the comic. I was advised if the conservation is done by an expert who knows what they are doing that it can still get a blue universal label with the professional conservation noted on the label. Is this correct?

Here are the grader notes: 

detached cover
heavy cover tanning
heavy creasing to cover
heavy staining to cover
multiple chip out cover
split cover

My worthless opinion tells me that the best case scenario is the comic could possibly get up to a 2.0 even if this was done. All thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

As above, it's not rare so would be better to just sell and spring for another low grade universal. 

The only case that would make this a good conservation candidate is if the book overall looked like a high grade copy other than the split (so a very nice looking cover) and doing work on it would take it above a VG range. However based on those notes it sounds like a beater copy at best, so not worth the investment into conservation.

There is also one other alternative if you are planning on submitting it to CGC anyways but don't want to invest in money to conserve it for a possible higher grade...

...send the book to me and let me use it in my Conservation experiments. I would repair the entire cover split and detachment for free, and possibly improve the tanning/staining to the cover with a wash. I do freebies like this for other board members occasionally in order to get access to key books I can photograph for my growing conservation portfolio (specifically those graded after so people can see that my work is accepted by CGC), and this one sounds like something I can expertly do already.

Examples of casual stuff I've done for fun:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfzNx3guCRy/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZpkuN_uAuH/

and check out my CGC journal here that shows the entire process on one of my books

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 10/18/2022 at 8:22 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

I was advised if the conservation is done by an expert who knows what they are doing that it can still get a blue universal label with the professional conservation noted on the label. Is this correct?

No, this is not correct.  A real shocker, eh?
Conserved books do not receive a Universal (Blue Label) Grade but a Conserved (Blue/Grey Label) Grade.   In addition, in order to qualify for a Conserved Grade, the restoration must be A-1 (Quality = Excellent, Quantity = Slight), and done with the intent of preserving the structural/chemical integrity of the book (rather than the aesthetics).  According to CGC:

Conservation.thumb.png.4e4b8f21cd7d4eaf15e943d691a3cc60.png

On 3/16/2023 at 9:37 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I'm happy to have been entrusted with this book by @O Doyle Rules so I could have a nice key to work on and later showcase my work.

And I am very well pleased throughout this process with Sauce Dog. I thought it would be cool for Forum members to see his step by step conservation work being completed along with the final result which will include the grade CGC comes back with. Stay tuned! 

Edited by O Doyle Rules