• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other companies that grade magazines?
1 1

23 posts in this topic

I recently sent in 2 magazines to CGC to be graded and encapsulated but they were returned to me because they were "explicit". They are the British First Edition Vol.1 of Penthouse and the American First Edition Vol.1 of Penthouse. Does anyone know anyone else who will grade and encapsulate them for me?

• Administrator
On 10/19/2022 at 8:37 AM, vintagefilmart said:

That's what I thought! They had the magazines for like 4 months also so when I got them back ungraded I was not happy. I'm wondering if there is anyone I can speak to at CGC about it. Back then, Penthouse was exactly like Playboy. I don't get it.

I will check into this for you.  

• Administrator
On 10/19/2022 at 8:45 AM, vintagefilmart said:
On 10/19/2022 at 8:39 AM, CGC Mike said:

I will check into this for you.  

Thank You!!

This is what I was told:

We’ve always avoided grading any of the nudie mags with the exception of Playboy. Penthouse Comix is more in the comic realm, so we made an exception there. These rules go back many years and really hasn’t changed since.

I mean, CGC grades plenty of pretty naked covers, comics and the like.

If they want to deny business for actual photos of naked people (or magazines with that inside), I suppose that is their business....sounds like the are excluding possible income though if they do allow Playboy

Edited by comicginger1789

On 10/19/2022 at 8:59 AM, comicginger1789 said:

If they want to deny business for actual photos of naked people (or magazines with that inside), I suppose that is their business....sounds like the are excluding possible income though if they do allow Playboy

Bet they'll be just fine passing up raunchy mags.

Screenshot_20221019-121816_Google.thumb.jpg.b0196d36634d856084d1f6b025ea2390.jpg

On 10/19/2022 at 12:19 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Bet they'll be just fine passing up raunchy mags.

Screenshot_20221019-121816_Google.thumb.jpg.b0196d36634d856084d1f6b025ea2390.jpg

Remember assets under mgmt is not their money, impressive most certainly, but theirs most certainly not.

The Net income in 2021 while highly impressive is still a few Billion lower than my firm's/employer's 2021 Tech budget :)    Perhaps expanding grading in the Mag area to Playboy and  Vintage (aka tame) Penthouse ain't such a bad idea....

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/19/2022 at 12:33 PM, shadroch said:

CGC needs to have someone count every page.  Imagine being the guy or gal whose job it is to count pages in Hustler all day long. 

Hopefully they aren't just counting them but examining them... for defects, etc.

Seriously, though. It's one thing to count 28/36 page comics, but some Playboys can be a few hundred pages. Think of the fun of finally counting January's 348 pages and starting all over on Feburary.  It would be like a monk finally getting to the letter B.

On 10/19/2022 at 12:33 PM, shadroch said:

CGC needs to have someone count every page.  Imagine being the guy or gal whose job it is to count pages in Hustler all day long. 

There are worse job's!  Take having to examine those books for stains for instance.

On 10/19/2022 at 12:35 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Hopefully they aren't just counting them but examining them... for defects, etc.

Unlike Playboy no airbrushing (usually performed to the point of absurdity) on those Vintage Hustler issues!

On 10/19/2022 at 8:59 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I have the first 2 issues of The Dead by Arrow Comics - gore editions. I sent them in a while back and they were rejected ... too explicit. I thought "Ok, no problem. I can understand the decision". Then I saw that there were a handful on the census, which means that CGC graded them. I called CS and told them. They basically said that the ones that were graded must've slipped thru ... all of them. If I ever decide to start submitting again, maybe I'll try to get them slabbed again.