• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Displaying original art

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some advice, I hope I've come to the right place.

I recently just purchased my first piece of original comic art, and I'm wondering how to display it. I plan to soon order more, and I don't think framing is the way to go. I'm a college student who lives in a tiny apartment, so I'd rather store my OA in a nice portfolio.

My question is this: Where can I get a nice portfolio? I'd like it to be archival safe to take care of my pieces. Can someone recommend a portfolio, and where to get it?

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some advice, I hope I've come to the right place.

I recently just purchased my first piece of original comic art, and I'm wondering how to display it. I plan to soon order more, and I don't think framing is the way to go. I'm a college student who lives in a tiny apartment, so I'd rather store my OA in a nice portfolio.

My question is this: Where can I get a nice portfolio? I'd like it to be archival safe to take care of my pieces. Can someone recommend a portfolio, and where to get it?

An Aubie! Greetings from B'ham!

I got an ITOYA 13 inch by 19 inch portfolio at an art supply store for about $20. I love the thing. If you want to frame anything that's not too expensive, Target makes some really nice black wood 16 x 20 frames - I think they are $12.99 a piece. I know I've seen them at the Target in Tigertown when passing through.

I hope that helps! - Keith

My advice,...take out a BIG STUDENT LOAN and buy some art. NOT investment advice but you might graduate with your education paid if you buy nice enough stuff. Even one 12K piece will/ Can pay for itself in the future.

KK

Hey KK -

Honestly - that's what I did in undergrad (but I did more comics then). I'd get the excess from the student loan check and start putting it to work and start buying and re-selling comics on eBay. Its more than just paid for the addiction smile.gif.

Hey KK -

Honestly - that's what I did in undergrad (but I did more comics then). I'd get the excess from the student loan check and start putting it to work and start buying and re-selling comics on eBay. Its more than just paid for the addiction smile.gif.

Absolutly. I did that too. It is a no-brainer. Especially if you like the piece and you can manage the true understanding of credit/debit/growth/ business and addiction.

Hey KK -

Absolutly. I did that too. It is a no-brainer. Especially if you like the piece and you can manage the true understanding of credit/debit/growth/ business and addiction.

Yeah - I started with relatively inexpensive stuff, and then through re-selling etc., its allowed me to buy and sell bigger $ stuff and keep some nicer stuff for myself. Its been a lot of fun, and its kept my hobby from eating into my regular budget once it started paying for itself.

I'm in grad school now and I'm getting a pretty decent stipend, so I don;t have to do this as much, but I probably do it more than I did in undergrad just because its fun (and I can actually afford some really nice stuff now...well relatively - no Captain America Comics #1 or X-men #1 cover yet - but we all have to start somewhere smile.gif ).

Hey KK -

Yeah - I started with relatively inexpensive stuff, and then through re-selling etc., its allowed me to buy and sell bigger $ stuff and keep some nicer stuff for myself. Its been a lot of fun, and its kept my hobby from eating into my regular budget once it started paying for itself.

I'm in grad school now and I'm getting a pretty decent stipend, so I don;t have to do this as much, but I probably do it more than I did in undergrad just because its fun (and I can actually afford some really nice stuff now...well relatively - no Captain America Comics #1 or X-men #1 cover yet - but we all have to start somewhere smile.gif ).

Always try to be BIG/ Dont believe the hype. FOR EXAMPLE,....the ASM #15 Ditko Cover,..if you were to have the opportunity.,....BUY IT,....(figure it out,..Financing is always a shell game anyways/ or liquidate assetts if necessary)...

THAN,..go on History's Myserty's or some such show and say its worth $20 Million.

KK

My advice,...take out a BIG STUDENT LOAN and buy some art. NOT investment advice but you might graduate with your education paid if you buy nice enough stuff. Even one 12K piece will/ Can pay for itself in the future.

Don't be an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. 893naughty-thumb.gif

In 1993, fresh out of school, I was completely broke, but managed to scrape together $1500 for a desirable page, and it was certainly a good investment. However, past gains are not necessarilily indicitive of future performance. Who's to say when the market will peak? The number of collectors that collect prime Silver and Golden Age art is sure to decrease, not increase.

I dropped off a painting today at a local frame shop and they were in the process of framing, of all things, somebody's Wonder Woman double page splash. foreheadslap.gif Anyone here drop off their WW DPS at Excel Art Gallery on 6th Ave. between 12th & 13th Street here in NYC? confused-smiley-013.gif