• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to Do When a Slabbed Grade Goes Down?
2 2

8 posts in this topic

Is there anything I can do, or just be bummed out? I had a slabbed book, 9.8. I sent it in to CGC to be signed by the artist, and it came back as a 9.6. I know you always run that risk, but it was slabbed when I sent it to them. There are no grader's notes so I don't know what happened to knock it down. Is it worth sending it back in to be graded again?

It 's a risk you take unslabbing a book for any reason. There is rarely a consensus grade on a book, even experienced graders using the same criteria can fall within a two grade range, add to that the additional handling involved in cracking out a book, getting it signed, and then regraded, can cause a grade to drop, especially in the high grades where one more minor imperfection is what makes a 9.8 a 9.6, and beyond that you always have the potential for flaws to be added in the slabbing process or afterwards inside the slab due to movement that effect a grade on resubmission. 

You might get a 9.8 on resubmission, if you really think it looks no different from when it was unsigned, but don't count on it. 

On 10/21/2022 at 11:50 AM, Matt1982 said:

Is there anything I can do, or just be bummed out? I had a slabbed book, 9.8. I sent it in to CGC to be signed by the artist, and it came back as a 9.6. I know you always run that risk, but it was slabbed when I sent it to them. There are no grader's notes so I don't know what happened to knock it down. Is it worth sending it back in to be graded again?

Did you keep the label?   I used to deslab them and put the labels in the bags with the windows for the signatures.  I had no problem in early 2000 to 2012 but I haven't had anyone signed my books ever since.   I know they are tight with the grades.

On 10/21/2022 at 1:10 PM, JollyComics said:

Did you keep the label?   I used to deslab them and put the labels in the bags with the windows for the signatures.  I had no problem in early 2000 to 2012 but I haven't had anyone signed my books ever since.   I know they are tight with the grades.

I sent it to CGC still in the slab.

On 10/22/2022 at 8:54 AM, Matt1982 said:

I sent it to CGC still in the slab.

They told me to use the labels so they would not change the grade but they changed.  Once the books are out of the cases, they have to re-grade them.  It's too bad that they are not using the labels anymore.

Now, it's not worthy to risk to open the book with 9.8 label.  I usually made a lot of money by selling many 9.8 copies. Most of them told me that they needed them for the signatures. Now, I haven't sold well ever since.  It sucks.

Edited by JollyComics

You can simply resubmit to CGC for a press and regrade.

Whether that's a good idea or not, who knows.  But it is an option.