• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Marvel Super-Heroes # 20 (Dr. Doom) - Grade is in!
3 3

19 posts in this topic

Quite a nice one. These square bound books are hard to find in high grade. I've also seen grades vary a lot more than regular comics. Almost as if certain defects are judged differently for different bindings. One good thing here is that I don't notice much color rub where the staples are under the front cover. I'm going to say 8.0, but I can make a case for anything between 7.0-9.0 based on grades square bound books in my collection ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 10/26/2022 at 10:22 PM, scburdet said:

Quite a nice one. These square bound books are hard to find in high grade. I've also seen grades vary a lot more than regular comics. Almost as if certain defects are judged differently for different bindings. One good thing here is that I don't notice much color rub where the staples are under the front cover. I'm going to say 8.0, but I can make a case for anything between 7.0-9.0 based on grades square bound books in my collection ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree completely. There is the tiny bit of rub under Cap’s chin and Doom’s cape has a tiny white spot of rub.

I appreciate your review of the book.

On 11/7/2022 at 11:02 PM, ChrispyC66 said:

they also created a1/2” tear at the top of the front cover

I swear something like this happed with 1 or 2 of mine too. A staple detachment that I have no recollection of being there when submitted. Did you do CCS pressing? From all I've been told, pressing a sq bound takes a little more finesse.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:23 PM, scburdet said:

I swear something like this happed with 1 or 2 of mine too. A staple detachment that I have no recollection of being there when submitted. Did you do CCS pressing? From all I've been told, pressing a sq bound takes a little more finesse.

Same here, had a book that came back with cover completely detached but no notes or mentions of it at all.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:02 PM, ChrispyC66 said:

They also created a1/2” tear at the top of the front cover.
Slow down and stop damaging the books when you encapsulate them!

For what it's worth, any damage done after a book has been graded (Step 4/7 of CGC's Grading Process) would not be documented in the Grader Notes.  :gossip:

On 11/8/2022 at 4:51 AM, zzutak said:

For what it's worth, any damage done after a book has been graded (Step 4/7 of CGC's Grading Process) would not be documented in the Grader Notes.  :gossip:

I don’t think it defect affects the grade for this particular book, But now the book has damage that wasn’t there before.
I know when you encapsulate, probably 1/2 a million books a year, some will get damaged. But, not the books I send in!

On 11/7/2022 at 11:23 PM, scburdet said:

Nope. I do all my own cleaning and pressing. I also take lots of before and after photos.