• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A fun old picture of Geppi with some of his key books...

73 posts in this topic

Here's a pic from an old Al Capps ad in Collector's Showcase (July 1997). Anyone know if this could be the Church copy? The only other picture I've seen was a thumbnail at fourcolorcomics.com.

Edit: aman: I increased the resolution - unfortunately the picture itself is very small and not in great quality. Does this help?

ac_tec27.jpg

Edit: Whichever copy it is, it looks like it might have a tear(?). I subtracted the red channel since the red color is a little misaligned.

ac_tec27_nored.jpg

Here's a pic from an old Al Capps ad in Collector's Showcase (July 1997). Anyone know if this could be the Church copy? The only other picture I've seen was a thumbnail at fourcolorcomics.com.

ac_tec27.jpg

its a small scan, but from the pencil slash mark in the upper left corner, it just might be the Church copy. Wish it were a better scan though.

guys, if the magazine was published in 1991, thats Photoshop 2 time period. So Im leaning toward mockups in a regular photo taken of Geppi. I dont think Photoshop was used to strip in the comics. It was doable, but very early on in the game.

guys, if the magazine was published in 1991, thats Photoshop 2 time period. So Im leaning toward mockups in a regular photo taken of Geppi. I dont think Photoshop was used to strip in the comics. It was doable, but very early on in the game.

Yeah, what he said. I don't think there were even layers in photoshop then, right Aman? It was a work in progress.

those were the days Hook. You had to be a MAN back then. Make decisions!! no keeping every live in case you change your mind later on!! Once you delect - - you bought it!! everything underneath was GONE forever...cept for one lousy 'undo'. Like I say, we were MEN - - decisive men!! who too often ended up screaming as w elost hours of work unexpectedly with an inadvertant mouse click! 27_laughing.gif

That's why I stuck with Illustrator most of the time......working in wireframe mode and then you could switch to artwork mode and then see what the heck you were working on looked like!

I remember keeping two windows open...one to work in and one to see what it actually looke like.

Real men don't need a history palette! 27_laughing.gif

next someone will mention Corel Draw! or Ventura Publisher...

Christ! I remember Ventura Publisher! crazy.gif I could never find my style sheet files. mad.gif

Photoshop 3 was great, I remember another fellow artist and I shouting "LAYERS...it finally has LAYERS!"

Anyone remember Harvard Graphics? blush.gif

those were the days Hook. You had to be a MAN back then. Make decisions!! no keeping every live in case you change your mind later on!! Once you delect - - you bought it!! everything underneath was GONE forever...cept for one lousy 'undo'. Like I say, we were MEN - - decisive men!! who too often ended up screaming as w elost hours of work unexpectedly with an inadvertant mouse click! 27_laughing.gif

Real men simply got the picture or drawing right to begin with, and didn't need any electronic tampering. confused-smiley-013.gifpoke2.gif

I hear ya.... I was just bringing up what I thought looked extremely odd to me about the photo. That and I normally never take for granted any cover I see on a magazine as untouched, no matter when it was made.

I also really feel this magazine cover is a conspiracy bigger then both Ewert, and PCS combined.. and will not stop till I have tens and tens of people on my side to get to the real truth behind this photo cover up.

Ze-

I also really feel this magazine cover is a conspiracy bigger then both Ewert, and PCS combined.. and will not stop till I have tens and tens of people on my side to get to the real truth behind this photo.

Ze-

Well done, Grasshopper. You have uncovered the biggest conspiracy of them all, so now the truth will be revealed:

1. There is no Steve Geppi.

2. There is no Edgar Church collection.

3. In fact, there are no Golden Age comics. Comics were created in 1966. A bunch were printed up with dates from the 1930s-1965, and roughed up to look like old books. A few members of the Grand Council intentionally left copies lying around in newly printed condition in Boulder and San Francisco, to drive collectors crazy.

4. All those people who claimed to have bought or read comics before 1966? THEY'RE ALL IN ON IT. Ask Harry/Burntboy. He's part of the Second Level of the Grand Council. What, you really believe he bought those books and stored them in a dresser drawer all these years? screwy.gif

I also really feel this magazine cover is a conspiracy bigger then both Ewert, and PCS combined.. and will not stop till I have tens and tens of people on my side to get to the real truth behind this photo.

Ze-

Well done, Grasshopper. You have uncovered the biggest conspiracy of them all, so now the truth will be revealed:

1. There is no Steve Geppi.

2. There is no Edgar Church collection.

3. In fact, there are no Golden Age comics. Comics were created in 1966. A bunch were printed up with dates from the 1930s-1965, and roughed up to look like old books. A few members of the Grand Council intentionally left copies lying around in newly printed condition in Boulder and San Francisco, to drive collectors crazy.

4. All those people who claimed to have bought or read comics before 1966? THEY'RE ALL IN ON IT. Ask Harry/Burntboy. He's part of the Second Level of the Grand Council. What, you really believe he bought those books and stored them in a dresser drawer all these years? screwy.gif

I am glad you had the ballz to come foward, I hope your loved ones are now safely at the secure location. May your bravery encourage others to follow. Thank you.

May I add you to my list on tens and tens of people?

Ze-

I am glad you had the ballz to come foward, I hope your family is in a secure location. May your bravery encourage others to follow. Thank you.

Ze-

Can't talk, too busy going into hiding. The Grand Council has already been alerted and deployed members of the Scarlet Guild. My only hope is to make it to the secret headquarters in Berlin and defeat the Grand Vizier in a duel in the Sacred Arena.

I am glad you had the ballz to come foward, I hope your family is in a secure location. May your bravery encourage others to follow. Thank you.

Ze-

Can't talk, too busy going into hiding. The Grand Council has already been alerted and deployed members of the Scarlet Guild. My only hope is to make it to the secret headquarters in Berlin and defeat the Grand Vizier in a duel in the Sacred Arena.

As the author of this thread, I must tell you, the Hawk-bots have tracked your every move, the Sacred Arena HAS BEEN prepped, and the Grand Vizier has been sharpening his tricera-blade all day. Bring it on, funny-book man.

Brave & the Bold, indeed. sumo.gif

Ze-

As the author of this thread, I must tell you, the Hawk-bots have tracked your every move, the Sacred Arena HAS BEEN prepped, and the Grand Vizier has been sharpening his tricera-blade all day. Bring it on, funny-book man.

Brave & the Bold, indeed. sumo.gif

So, Number 2 (or as most of us call you behind your back, "Smithers"), you show your face! Tell your lord and master that I have been perfecting the Praying Mantis technique under Master Wu in anticipation of this very day! Perhaps now we will see if indeed the tricera-blade is inferior to the Whirring Wing Attack, as has been hinted in the ancient texts.