• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a comic book app that puts together information for raw comic book values something like the way GPA does for CGC books?
2 2

31 posts in this topic

Hello I am new to using web based services to determine comic book values.

Can anyone recommend a comic book app that puts together information for raw comic book values something like the way GPA does for CGC books?

I have sorted thru ebay sold listings as well as some auction sites.  It would be great to find a reliable source that puts all that together in one place with easy reference, well organized and succinct.

Or is it recommended to use the GPA info as a guide and then discount for raw values?  

On 11/4/2022 at 8:36 AM, Pukie said:

Or is it recommended to use the GPA info as a guide and then discount for raw values?  

That's what I often do on books $100 and above.  On lower-priced books, the slab itself is such a high percentage of the value, that it's better to just use eBay (sold) for raw values.  Just be mindful of the actual grades.  Key Collector isn't too bad on books under $100 as well, though it's hard for any site to keep up on some of the wild fluctuations of the past year.  I prefer the paid sites to the free ones... you get what you pay for. 

@marvelmaniac gave a great response, so no need to repeat! I'll just say that I'm not a big fan of services that provide raw comic book FMV - no one right now has figured out an approach that produces reliable and statistically valid results. HOWEVER, I am following Overstreet very closely with their new Access app that they launched this year and presented at SDCC. If there's any company that has the potential to do it right, with their resources and corporate backing, it is Overstreet. For the FMV info, they charge from $3/month.

Edited by ComicsAndCode

On 11/4/2022 at 3:55 PM, ComicsAndCode said:

@marvelmaniac gave a great response, so no need to repeat! I'll just say that I'm not a big fan of services that provide raw comic book FMV - no one right now has figured out an approach that produces reliable and statistically valid results. HOWEVER, I am following Overstreet very closely with their new Access app that they launched this year and presented at SDCC. If there's any company that has the potential to do it right, with their resources and corporate backing, it is Overstreet. For the FMV info, they charge from $3/month.

For decades now, hasn't Overstreet been way off on FMV of most books of interest, be it GA or SA, big or small key, low- or high-grade?  From posts on these boards, the Price Guide values provided in the Heritage listings are routinely ignored for being so out of touch.  Despite their Price Guide coming out every year, their valuations were often years behind, even before the up tick during and since the pandemic.  If they didn't correct their listed values on at least an annual basis for their Price Guide, I'm skeptical of their ability to provide estimates in real time, let alone accurate ones.  (shrug)  It's just been frustrating seing those inaccurate Overstreet values accompanying each and every Heritage auction listing.  But for those who buy raws, I really do hope Overstreet does it right and becomes an additional resource for you.  But I would recommend waiting for them to prove themselves before relying on them for big raw purchases.        

Edited by Pantodude

On 11/4/2022 at 8:25 PM, Pantodude said:

For decades now, hasn't Overstreet been way off on FMV

Yes. 

Problem is, it was often used to create the market but as you said, based on outdated info.  Exactly what any annual guide would do.

The only time Overstreet was a good price guide...was when it was the only price guide.

FYI, KeyCollector is a great app.

But it's only keys.

And it's pricing is based off relatively recent eBay searches, which....you can do yourself.

I'm using CovrPrice for rough estimates, but I use eBay to see what books are actually selling for.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 11/4/2022 at 8:25 PM, mrlatko said:

Just use GPA which you already mentioned.  If you know what graded goes for, then pricing a raw copy shouldn't be difficult.

I'm wondering how much of a boost CGC gives to a book?  I think it varies by book, grade, title, vintage, etc.

So wouldn't it be difficult to use GPA values, then try to price a raw copy?

Unless maybe you know a little about demand and rarity of some books or categories.  For instance early Marvels in high grade might double (or more?) if CGC'd...is that right?  So wouldn't you have to cut that GPA value in half to get the raw value..? 

Other books, maybe not so much..?

On 11/5/2022 at 1:23 PM, shadroch said:

Just go to mycomicshop.com and see what the worlds leading comic fretailer is selling their books for. It is an invaluable guide, and it is free. 

Probably better to go to eBay and see what people are actually paying, not what people are asking.  Plus the inventory is exponentially bigger.

On 11/5/2022 at 10:27 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Probably better to go to eBay and see what people are actually paying, not what people are asking.  Plus the inventory is exponentially bigger.

No, but you do what you think works best.  When a book is sold on ebay for $15 and described as NM but looks VG, how do you use that information? i'm going to guess you don't spend much time on MCS or you'd see the difference in the two. When a zero feedback buyer wins something from a zero feedback seller, is that useful information?

Edited by shadroch

On 11/5/2022 at 1:35 PM, shadroch said:

No, but you do what you think works best.  When a book is sold on ebay for $15 and described as NM but looks VG, how do you use that information? i'm going to guess you don't spend much time on MCS or you'd see the difference in the two. When a zero feedback buyer wins something from a zero feedback seller, is that useful information?

That specific scenario you created?  Maybe, maybe not.  The results of an auction with multiple bidders doesn't care about feedback and is an obvious indicator of what people are willing to pay.  Like I said, due to huge inventory difference, you can always move onto 20 other sales to do the research.  At MCS you can hope there is one for sale, and that it has scans, but if the selling price is high and no one is buying... I don't see how that's useful.

On the other hand, if MCS has an option to see what books have sold for, then that would be.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 11/5/2022 at 2:24 PM, Sigur Ros said:

That specific scenario you created?  Maybe, maybe not.  The results of an auction with multiple bidders doesn't care about feedback and is an obvious indicator of what people are willing to pay.  Like I said, due to huge inventory difference, you can always move onto 20 other sales to do the research.  At MCS you can hope there is one for sale, and that it has scans, but if the selling price is high and no one is buying... I don't see how that's useful.

On the other hand, if MCS has an option to see what books have sold for, then that would be.

I was about to ask this.  Does MCS have a SOLD section like EBay?

On 11/5/2022 at 2:32 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I was about to ask this.  Does MCS have a SOLD section like EBay?

I dunno...I guess it must, otherwise no one would say it's the best way to determine value.

I was going to compare a book but MCS doesn't have it.  Picked another but there is no scan.  

Was trying to find any value at all.